Any tips for surviving Ext1?? (1 Viewer)

ebsha

HSC
Im doing ok in it, but it drives me mad! I hate Browning! I hate Dolls House! P&P is the only elective i have that i like, and to top it all off, my fav teacher has just left, leaving us with the batty old cow who is in love with Browning and sends me into dream-land.

There is no possible way im going to stay awake in her class. Im so sick of this course, but I do reasonably well in it, so I wanna keep it to scale me up some more. I have 12 units, entering into year12. 12U cos i picked up ext history and dropped a course.

Please! I need some hints on how to survive Ext1 without going insane or falling into a coma every lesson!!

HSC
N/A
If you're doing it purely for the scaling, I'd drop out now.

Most people who do EE1 enjoy it, and thus, are motivated to work hard enough at it to get good marks AND stay awake. Although admittedly, I fell asleep in so many of my EE1 classes in year 11 :p I still did well though, and preferred EE1 over pdhpe, so I kept it. It helped that we had a great teacher who wrote the module we were studying :p

Considering that you can afford to drop it, I'd be dropping it, but if you're desperate on keeping it for reasons unknown to me, then I suggest you invest in some good study guides or a good tutor.

Best wishes!

Jacks

HSC
hmmm yes I think the only way to survive is to like what you are learning...if you hate it then maybe you should drop it because although you may do well in it, you would probably do even better if you were interested. I liked all of the texts you mentioned...hehe...but I'd say either learn to like it, or don't continue with it...I suggest you learn to like it and quick if you want 12 units so that you have a 2u leeway for the calculation of your UAI...if you don't think you need that then drop it, you'll still have one unit to play with anyways. This being said though you should take a course based on your interest and enjoyment of its content and not necessarily...or at least solely on its scaling ;)

winicat

HSC
get out! get out now while you still can! *rocks back and forth, hugging knees, teeth chattering*

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Extension English is the funnest course in the entire hsc. Just dont listen to your teacher and do your own private research/study and make sure you have a good rank by the end of the year.

nick1048

Mè çHöP ŸèW
The Mat®ix Ordinates: Sector 1-337- Statu
HSC
make the course what u want it to be, manipulate the language and appreciate texts for its articulation if nothing else. You are studying authors of the highest literary standards, enjoy the fact that these people mould concepts of genre, conventions and themes of the world today. That's how u stay awake and inspired, aspire to become one of those people whose work is read purely because it is just that good. =)

K

katie_tully

i just got 13/15 for my first yr 12 ext assessment task.

EXT is a breeze dude, i find it so much easier than advanced english. read the texts, read additional texts, relate them to the area of study ... and if that fails, just bullshit.

oh.
and never, under any circumstance do RFTG.

HSC
N/A
LOL.

My english teacher wrote that module.

It's actually not too bad, because it's fairly specific. However, most of the texts you study, you'll have to be bribed to read - I really wasn't a huge fan of studying Shipping News. I don't even think I finished it. And don't even get me STARTED on Heart of Darkness... which I had to read for Yr 11...

HSC
N/A
Oh yes. The one and only.

Who just so happens to be in India right now so we're not able to see his dance of ecsasty - we beat North Sydney Girls for English! hahaha! His dream finally came true...

Oh, and I hope he's reading books set in the western world right now. His obsession with Indian writers can be slightly frightening at times.

K

katie_tully

My teacher rings him all the time for advice. She hasnt had a 3 unit student for 6 years, so she sort of gets his guidance often.

HSC
N/A
Really? hahaha... so that's why he had to run out of the room so often this year? lol. No no, it might be something else... his family often rings him during class as well :p

I imagine you're getting lots of mini-Uni-lectures on RFTG right now :p

K

katie_tully

Yeah, I have acquired, in one term about 2 massive folders worth of stuff on RFTG

HSC
N/A
LOL. Sounds familiar! haha!

Well, have fun - somewhere in there will be some absolute jewels on RFTG concerning techniques etc. It's just a matter of sifting through all the "other stuff" you get (eg completely random articles)... of which there is probably quite a lot of from Mr Eldridge...

Failing that, generic questions rule. "How is the notion of Retreat From the Global explored in this text?"

BLACKBIRD.whs

HSC
hmm...well we got given a choice of doing retreat from the global, swallowing a pineapple whole and then choosing RFTG, or dropping. Dont get me wrong, our teacher is great, but....shes a bit, ykno, too into it? which sucks. i really enjoy ext1 and 2 but ext1 topic is the worst possible choice, im finding it has too much economical and political background to be a legitimate study of english. call me conservative but isnt english meant to be about the use and manipulation of the language and studying of texts rather than whipping up a student revolution of sorts? i mean if you're doing extension english you must enjoy it and be interested enough to actually think about these things rather than doing it to just pass an exam. could be me being a little paranoid three-dollar-a-cup coffee consumer but still....advice for anyone in year 11. DONT DO RFTG. if any past students has any tips or advice, or can offer guidance, please add me to msn, blackbird_1311@hotmail.com. good luck in the midcourse exams ladies and gentlemen

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)