any success stories about people who didn't go so well in half yearlys? (1 Viewer)

johnle95

HSC
N/A
Im very disappointed with my half yearly results, and i was just wondering if there was anyone out there, that went through the same stage as me but were able to turn the tables around? I was just curious on how you were able to fix yourself up in such a limited amount of time. Im feeling depressed right now and my ranks are far from a band 6, judging by the amount of band 6s my school gets for each subject every year. So I don't think I can get a 90 atar anymore. Someone please help.

thanks

madharris

HSC
N/A
well I kind of stuffed up my trials (did well in my half yearlies) because I kind of half burnt out

Kind of cliche but my marks just pushed me to study hard during the hsc or I wouldn't get into any of the courses that I wanted to do
and that was basically my motivation

Nataliexu

HSC
depends on how much the exam weighted. at my school our trial exams weight anywhere from 30-40%. so its definitely possible to still score band 6's

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I can think of many examples of where people have under performed in the year, but pulled it together for the actual HSC to get 90+ ATAR.

kingofgames

HSC
N/A
Failed every test in my Maths Extension 1 class i was smart enough for it but i just hated the teacher and could not work with him/her, got a tutor on the last term, we went through the basics then all the hard questions i could muster in all the topics. Went to a 2 day maths workshop at Sydney University on the holidays they gave me some notes and i bought their book on pat HSC questions. Wen through 10 years plus of HSCs walked away with a 39/50 on the HSC.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
I failed every math test in year 12. Obviously I didn't obtain band sixes in math. However overall I still got into university and continued to improve my mathematical grounding to what it is today.

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
I also failed (general) maths miserably, and basically failed the whole way through school.

I ended up getting a private tutor and working on areas i struggled in, and then just kept practising doing questions and past papers. I'm not kidding when I say my mark was >50 on most occasions. The only maths I was good at during school was the finance related stuff where you have to figure out pay rates & gst etc.

I got 82 in the HSC, and all I know is all that effort and commitment worked.:)

& FYI the world doesn't end, no matter what anybody tells you, if you don't get a 90 atar or into your dream course or whatever.

IMO, my marks were appealing. I was really upset and thought I wouldn't get anywhere. 2 years later, I can say I was an idiot and a fool to think that. Don't let BoS users and the whole 99 atar thing get under your skin. Being able to study from a textbook doesn't make you smart or successful. If you work hard to achieve your goals, nothing is impossible.

Examine

same
HSC
In my business cohort there was a guy who stuffed up every Business Studies exam he did except for 2 (the trials and the 4th assessment). He ended up doing relatively well in the end, getting an external of 91 and an internal of 85 (rank 17th) which got him a hsc mark of 88.

Last edited:

zhiying

HSC
I was accelerating 3U math in year 11 and was going to sit the HSC for it at the end of year 11, but I always had the idea in the back of my mind that I could always do it again in year 12 if something went wrong. So with that attitude i ended up failing my half yearlies (real fail, not Asian fail). Got my shit together and put in some serious effort. Ended up with HSC mark of 96.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Im very disappointed with my half yearly results, and i was just wondering if there was anyone out there, that went through the same stage as me but were able to turn the tables around? I was just curious on how you were able to fix yourself up in such a limited amount of time. Im feeling depressed right now and my ranks are far from a band 6, judging by the amount of band 6s my school gets for each subject every year. So I don't think I can get a 90 atar anymore. Someone please help.

thanks
You can fix yourself up, by fixing that attitude. Don't ever say you can't do anything to yourself! Believe me , a little self belief goes a long way.

Also work harder :)

yasminee96

HSC
For Maths ex 1 i Screwed up everything but HYE, screwed up trials even, ranked 14/18 in my class - still pulled off a 47/50. Externals are most important, and attitude, and effort :)

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
For Maths ex 1 i Screwed up everything but HYE, screwed up trials even, ranked 14/18 in my class - still pulled off a 47/50. Externals are most important, and attitude, and effort :)
Was that at a selective school though? In my school, if I don't come first, then I will get scaled down like crazy. Class of 7. Half-yearly marks (I got highest) :

99%, 93%, 90%, 85%, 70%, 66%, 56%.

c-clumsy

HSC
There's this legend at my school, which really helped boost my cohort's morale after the half-yearlies.

In 2011, a student consistently scored 40%-50% throughout most her internals for Advanced. She was more or less the type of student that the teacher sort of lost hope for, and as it was too late, she couldn't move to Standard. Her highest mark ever was probably a high C before trials. But through constantly redoing essays and taking in consideration of her teacher's comments on how to improve, she went from an average/below average student to someone who managed to squeeze into the top 5 after trials, and scored a final HSC mark of 91.

Success is really 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration. Failure isn't fatal (unless its cardiac arrest) and success isn't eternal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)