Any Philosophers who can help? Baudrillard's 'end of history' concept (moved) (1 Viewer)

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
Hay guys are there any philosophers in this thread who would like to have a try explaining Baudrillard's 'end of history' concept to me?

Because I'm fucking stumped atm. HALP PLZ

KING CAL

Banned
HSC
Re: How was your school day?

Jachie said:
Hay guys are there any philosophers in this thread who would like to have a try explaining Baudrillard's 'end of history' concept to me?

Because I'm fucking stumped atm. HALP PLZ
Sure babe.

Baudrillard's end of history concept is the concept that at the end of history (but does history ever end?) we, as human beings, will look back and wonder, why?

Why that is; how does one, contemplate the end of an era, the end of the world... and has history indeed ended? One may agree, one may not. You be the judge, after all - history is all relative to turtle shells and thomas the tank engines steam powered chugging devices which relate to Robbo and the TAB form in his front pocket.

However, one may agree with this, hence the concept of history ending... but you may not agree, hence the philosophy of history never ending; the world revolving around it.

Jachie

HSC

lol nevermind :eek:

Last edited:

KING CAL

Banned
HSC

By means of this retroversion of history to infinity, through this hyperbolic curvature, the century eludes its own end. By way of this retrospective effect of events, we escape before our own death. Metaphorically speaking therefore, we will not even attain to the symbolic end of things, the symbolic culmination of Year 2000.

Can we avoid this retro-curvature of a history that backtracks on its footsteps and effaces its own traces; can we sidestep this fatal asymptote which in some way rolls back modernity in the way one rewinds a tapedeck? We are so accustomed to viewing all films over and over again, the fictitious ones as well as those pertaining to our lives; we have been so thoroughly contaminated by a retrospective technique that we are quite capable, under the blow of contemporary vertigo, to rethread history as one threads a film wrong side up.

Have we perhaps, propelled by the vain hope to evade our "abiding in our present destruction", as Canetti says, given ourselves up to a retrospective melancholy in order to relive and, make up for, everything; to relive for the sake of elucidating (as if the shadow of psychoanalysis is cast over all our history - as if the same events, the same circumstances were reproduced in nearly the same terms; as if the same wars broke out between the same people, and; all that had been stolen would resurge as if moved by an irrepressible fantasy so that the oeuvre itself would be perceived as the form of the unconscious, as primary process at work); are we to invoke all past events for the sake of comparison, to re-teach everything in terms of process? A delirium with process has quite recently gotten hold of us and, at the same time, a seizure or delirium with responsibility, precisely because it is becoming increasingly elusive. To remake history proper - to whitewash all the monstrosities: underlying the proliferation of scandals there is a vague (res)sentiment that history itself, too, is a scandal. A retro-process that will steer us to a delirium with/of origin, to this side of history, to a conviviality driven by instincts (animale), to the primitive niche, which is already the way things stand in the ecologic flirt with an impossible origin.

Jachie

HSC

Yeah so like I still don't really understand it :eek: it's the only part of his work I don't follow. But I did the exam today and I didn't need to bring it up, so it's all cool.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)