Any one applied for the B.IT Course? (1 Viewer)

mercho

B. Of Leisure & Pleasure
HSC
Hey guys,
Just wondering if anyone applied for B.IT through the questionaire?
When do we find out if we get an interview or not?
Brad

kafryn_rookie

In Transition
HSC
hay,

I also applied for the B. IT at UTS; the one you had to fill in and send away. I know interviews are on the 17/18 of november but i am also a little dazed as to when we find out if we have indeed been selected for an interview.

anyway, best of luck

HSC
Yes, I did aswell.
I would like to know how many usually apply versus how many usually get asked

mercho

B. Of Leisure & Pleasure
HSC
DigitalFortress said:
Yes, I did aswell.
I would like to know how many usually apply versus how many usually get asked
hmm not sure...
What sort of trial marks have you guys got.
I went crap in the trials:
Maths 2U: 53%
Eng Adv: 78%
PDHPE: 79%
IT: 70%
Physics: 52%
SDD: (really really crap)

HSC
1st in IPT (out of 27)
2nd In software (out of 10)
8th in physics (out of 30)
12th in maths 2u (out of 55)
35th in English Adv (out of 80)

kafryn_rookie

In Transition
HSC
playboy2njoy said:
Well I applied, should be picked for an int. considering Im an uber nerd and I got a few academic awards last week which I showed them :D

Standard English: 75/100 4 out of 93
Business Studies: 57/100 16 out of 54
Business Services: 89/100 1 out of 19
General Maths: 71/100 4 out of 52
Modern History: 77/100 6 out of 17

Its around 200 who apply, 100 get offered interviews and 20-30 places are given.
Thats interesting... i thought 50 people were selected for the places - well thats what they advertise. who knows though.

Anyway these were my marks from the trials using the catholic trial papers

Advanced English: 76/100 - 1st
Business Studies: 85/100 - 1st
Geography: 79/100 - 2nd
Economics: 69/100 - 3rd
IPT: 85/100 - 1st
Mathematics - poor

though I wasn't sure that i'd get selcted for an interview with these marks... because they are looking for people who are going to achieve a uni of 90 or above, and my estimate is just that; so i guess we'll have to wait and see. fingures crossed

good luck to everyone

HSC
they "advertise" that the amount of places depends on how many sponsering companies they get. I'm very sure i heard this at UTS open day

mjhilton

HSC
I applied as well, hopefully get an interview (and the UAI!!!)

English Adv: 67%, 87th out of 131
Maths 2U: 91%, 13th out of 91
Maths Ext 1: 74%, 26th out of 65
Chemistry: 84%, 15th out of 51
Physics: 73%, 16th out of 57
Religion I: 86%, 7th out of 31
SDD: 73%, 2nd out of 10

Last year, according to a similar post, there were about 100 applied down from 150 the year before... Not sure how accurate that is though.
Good luck in HSC everyone! (Life will be great after Paper 2 English)

JimmyK

Narrabeen, Sydney/Maitland, Hunter Valley
HSC
I applied. I emailed Des Saunders, and he said we will be notified of places and times for the interviews early next month.
I'd post my results, but I'm too tired to do so (Eng. Paper 1 today!). I'll post em up after I get some sleep.
Good luck all for the rest of your exams!

I slept and hence woke up - so here's my results:
Entertainment Industry (VET): 82% - 1/10
Advanced English: 50% - 37/46
Mathematics: 45% - 31/36
Physics: 73% - 7/11
IPT: 88% - 1/6
Music One: 69% - 3/8

Last edited:

jadie_m

HSC
Hey guys,
I applied for the BIT scholarship at UTS too. I recently got an email from them stating:

Dear Applicants,

Thank you for your application to the Bachelor of Information Technology course. Potential Candidates will be notified in early November whether or not they have been selected for an interview.

An acknowledgement of your application has also been sent via post.

Good luck to all of you!

So we still have some waiting to do...heres to hoping! :) Goodluck all!
- Jade

ztrask02

Professional Expert
HSC
Doesn't the waiting drive you mad?

I applied too. I'd post my results, except they are in the box of things to not be burnt, which I don't know where it is. The other box, I know where it is, AND where it is going.

If we aren't offered an interview, what other courses are there that are similar to BIT at UTS?

DJGerber

3rd Year BIT @ UTS
HSC
Most people who apply for BIT also write down BScIT/DipITPP which has the same first semester subjects. But for a more business oriented course, check out BBus/BComp.

Also, if they pick up another sponsor during the first semester, they will ask a person, who applied for BIT and currently doing the BScIT/DipITPP course, whether they want to change to BIT which happend to two people this year.

Last edited:

ztrask02

Professional Expert
HSC
Thanks mate, I wasn't aware.

Now that I am, i'll have to go look at my preferences. I think that course is in my preferences somewhere, but perhaps I should look at putting it 2nd.

As an afterthought too, you're doing the first of your two industry semesters now right? If you don't mind me asking, where are you at, and how are you finding it?

Last edited:

DJGerber

3rd Year BIT @ UTS
HSC
We put in preferences for where we wished to work, I got my first preference. I'm at OneDigital which is a full-service interactive media agency in the City. Others doing my course are at multi-nationals like American Express. You can find a list of this year's sponsors here.

My role is working as a Web Developer, currently working for Nestle, Stockland, Dairy Farmers, Sydney Ferries and Hyundai to name a few. I'm working with technologies such as ASP.NET w/C# code-behind and Microsoft Content Management System. I work from 8:30am to 5:30pm Monday to Friday (others have more flexible hours starting at like 10am) but I don't mind my hours as I'm working with a 24" widescreen LCD monitor. :D

The company also organises social events. This year they paid our entry to Randwick Racecourse for Melbourne Cup including lunch and spending money, which keeps morale high. Everyone there is really easy-going and I had no problems becoming a useful part of the Development team. In August I recieved the Employee of the Month award. :)

Just working in a business environment is so valuable. If I don't get offered a short term contract at the end of the semester, I know that I'll be on their list of contractors for when they have an excess of work, which is a great position to be in. In any case, I've really learnt so much since I've been working there, about both the Advertising and IT industry. A really great opportunity.

If you've got more specific questions, feel free to contact me on MSN.

JimmyK

Narrabeen, Sydney/Maitland, Hunter Valley
HSC
how did you find out? Did they call you or what??
Does anyone know if they will contact you anyway, regardless of wether you're successfull or not?
Congrats ebonylea, and congrats to anyone else who has been selected.
*crosses fingers and gets nervous about waiting for the phone call*

mercho

B. Of Leisure & Pleasure
HSC
I am nervously keeping an eye on my inbox phone and mailbox :rolleyes: Congrats to thos who got an interview!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)