Any ideas? (1 Viewer)

HSC
"At home, you are required to find 3 common everyday substances which can be used as indicators..."

I know that I can use a red cabbage/flower indicator, but are there any others? More unique ones?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Rose petals, and there are a number of flowers which change colour depending on soil aciditity.

danif

HSC
black tea is also an indicator (apparently)

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Hydrangeas are an example of a flower that changes colour with soil pH - in fact, you can buy 'hydrangea pinking compound' and 'hydrangea bluing compound', which are simple an acid and a base.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Speaking of the bluing compounds with soil acidity, will lime only neutralise the acidity of the soil and not make it more basic (as in not raise it above 7) since its a Carbonate?

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Isn't lime calcium oxide, CaO, rather than CaCO<sub>3</sub>, which is limestone?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
It is to, so it forms a basic salt, makes sense. My Engineering studies teacher told me that they were the same thing when we were doing the composition of concrete *rants

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
It is usual practice not to call oxides salts...

As for concrete, remember that calcium oxide is basic, and carbon dioxide is acidic, so lime slowly absorbs CO<sub>2</sub> from air becoming limestone:

CaO<sub> (s)</sub> + CO<sub>2 (g)</sub> ---> CaCO<sub>3 (s)</sub>

It is for this reason that most metal oxides only have short shelf-life, as they are slowly converted to carbonates in air. This may mean that are considered interchangeable at times.

Remember, also, that non-scientists tend to be a bit reckless with chemical concepts, and engineers are a prime example of this problem! :)

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
oh yea... i heard from somewhere that they add limes to increase the pH so that the soil is suitable for some plant's growth...

hehe, yea... engineerin sucks... all my fwnds either dun talk abt it, or said it sucked bit time... (well, apparently, they ain't good programmers, n they need to do software... n i was like, AHAHAHAH each time... =(... )

hey, cm_tutor, are you in that school tutorin program??i mean, u must be ^^seein u r like so good and all...

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by xiao1985
hey, cm_tutor, are you in that school tutorin program??i mean, u must be ^^seein u r like so good and all...
If you mean the one at USyd, then no.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by xiao1985
oh yea... i heard from somewhere that they add limes to increase the pH so that the soil is suitable for some plant's growth..
It is also used on salinity affected soils, but I dont know what effect it would have there, unless some of the compounds that are brought up with the ground water are non-metal oxides.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)