Any chance of special consideration at Notre Dame? (1 Viewer)

freq707

HSC
So notre dame is a private insitute...based on catholic views correct -

does anyone know of anything I could do to...pretty much score bonus marks when it comesto selection time...like you have the supplement application form if i were to do volunteer with say a catholic church, would that help more than other forms of volunteer work..

or anything else - i think when it comes time, ill be putting notre dame 1st preference

cheers
(its probly extremly obvious by mentioning notre dame that my umat marks were not high enough for undergrad elsewhere hahaha)

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
ND is a private uni but a provider of CSP places. Med at both ND Fremantle and Sydney is completely Graduate and CSP for domestric students. It requires GAMSAT, Interview + a high GPA like most other grad med uni's. What made you think it was undergrad?

Also think about medicine, it's secular, and should not be based on religiouis principles. BTW: I have a friend who's two friends are muslim wear the hijab and do med at ND sydney.

freq707

HSC
oh nono i know its graduate, im in 2nd yr of my degree at UNSW and will do GAMSAT next year...
and my GPA is like 6.3 so...so far im sweet there, just gotta see if i can maintain that in 3rd year hahaa

in the medicine PDF from ND site, they say the supplementary entry form makes up a part of selection for inteviews and that their GPA and GAMSAT cut offs are not rigid (5.0 and 50 respectively)
--hence i thought if i fall just a mark or 2 short or something and have catholic volunteer work they might still let me in hahahaha

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
oh nono i know its graduate, im in 2nd yr of my degree at UNSW and will do GAMSAT next year...
and my GPA is like 6.3 so...so far im sweet there, just gotta see if i can maintain that in 3rd year hahaa

in the medicine PDF from ND site, they say the supplementary entry form makes up a part of selection for inteviews and that their GPA and GAMSAT cut offs are not rigid (5.0 and 50 respectively)
--hence i thought if i fall just a mark or 2 short or something and have catholic volunteer work they might still let me in hahahaha
Check out www.pagingdr.proboards.com it's the GAMSAT version of MSO. Also see this page: http://www.pagingdr.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=universities&thread=184&page=30

Also everyone has to fill out that form and I'm sure alot of people will have simillar work experience, etc:

"Supplementary Information Form
• Applicants must submit the Notre Dame Supplementary Information
Form. The form should outline the applicant’s motivation to pursue a
career in medicine and to train at Notre Dame. The School is
seeking applicants with sporting, music, volunteer, group and
leadership backgrounds. Supplementary Information forms are
submitted directly to the University Admissions office and are each
read by two senior staff members and ranked. The Supplementary
Information Form and a completion guide are available on the web.
• The Supplementary Information Form score forms a component of
the score used to determine selection for interview. Bonus scores
are also allocated to applicants with a rural background or higher
research degree"

Also ND is going completely CSP soon, Fremantle has already phased them out, I thought Sydney had phased them out for 2010, but apparently not.

Last edited:

freq707

HSC
completely CSP really?
wow...bit odd for a private institution haha

man...i need some serious help trying to prepare for GAMSAT...

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
completely CSP really?
wow...bit odd for a private institution haha

man...i need some serious help trying to prepare for GAMSAT...
Yeah, alot of there regular uni places are CSP anyway, there going along with Rudd's 'education revolution' in abolishing in full-fee places.

Refer to paging dr for help, I suggest you look at doing prep courses such as Des O'neil and Med prep international, etc. There was also a study group that meet up at the state library this year, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)