any business first years here? (1 Viewer)

layzeehbum

HSC
Oh my! Four of my books already cost $500. Talk about ripping students off. They should offer us alternatives instead of purchasing books as the only method of teaching us, especially because we only use the textbooks for only 14 weeks.
lol yeah.. thats y i need 2 spare 1k per year just for txtbuks...
actually i think we only gonna touch the txtbuks for less than 14 weeks...
i heard that business txtbuks tend 2 be more xpensive dan other ones like science txtbuks.... dunno for sure though
i would probably try 2 get my hands on 2nd hands txtbuks since i dun wanna break my parents wallet lol

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
hey, about the tax deduction thing, i dont get it

could you explain to me how it works because i'm weighing between second hand and new and i dont know much about the tax deductions =S

cheers
Well i am not sure if you can claim second hand books as a tax deduction. But they do not come with a receipt, so that could be a reason why you may not be able to claim a deduction.
Also you need to be working in a related field to claim a tax deduction. Doing an accounting cadetship or at least ome sort of office job.
Self-education expenses

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
In the end guys if you do not currently have a related job, best thing to do is get second hand books, and then sell them off after you are done. It's tricky with some subjects because new versions come out every year e.g. law related subjects.

Look at the site i linked to in my previous posts, a lot of textbooks that are needed can be found there, and sold there.
here it is again

Textbook Exchange - Welcome to Australia's largest second hand textbook site

MysticalElement

Troll Slayer
HSC
Hey
got that email from the accouting for business people and they said some books to get, but has anyone got them yet...i doubt we need them by first lesson ay?

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
Hey
got that email from the accouting for business people and they said some books to get, but has anyone got them yet...i doubt we need them by first lesson ay?
Don't even bother bringing textbooks to the first lecture. In fact if your tutorial is on a different day bring the textbooks on that day. It's the lecture notes you should bring to lectures. Because lecturers go through slides on the board and you follow along.

First week is usually just the outline of the subject and what is expected of you. Some subjects cover a bit of material in the first lecture but it's usually basic and print outs are handed out.

zer.0.ne

HSC
$500 on four books =/ .. that doesn't account for the extra book for MPO and other subjects that require additional readings for tutorials?

Umm.. about claiming tax on the books, many students won't be able to do it personally but their parents can do it on their behalf apparently... cuz my dad is able to claim some of it back on his tax.. maybe cuz he is shifty.. who knows

anyway looking forward to meeting the 500 odd business students tomorrow.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)