any bartenders here? (1 Viewer)

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
I started doing it about 6 weeks ago and I love it (I expect this enthusiasm to wear off soon...).

even though you get drunken fuckwits, on the whole people are so much nicer to you than in other customer-related jobs. plus all the new drinks I've learned about are pretty awesome too.
I never hear about anyone here doing it tho...who else does it?

law_stud

HSC
N/A
glycerine said:
I started doing it about 6 weeks ago and I love it (I expect this enthusiasm to wear off soon...).

even though you get drunken fuckwits, on the whole people are so much nicer to you than in other customer-related jobs. plus all the new drinks I've learned about are pretty awesome too.
I never hear about anyone here doing it tho...who else does it?
Hey! I'm slated to get my RSA next week - part of my plan to get an awesome job over the summer holidays-

But then I've thought - well, f#ck, I'm worried I'll probably end up getting home at 3am every night, and not getting any sleep!

What are the things that you don't like, and really do like about your job? Is it in the city?

Are you going to end up a really jaded bar person? hehe

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
I work at a behind the bar at a nightclub in newcastle. The nights, especially wednesday (uni night), friday and saturdays can be pretty hectic if you're not ready for late hours in a high paced environment.

Overall, I like it in comparison to fast food industry because as Glycerine said, the majority of customers are better than the likes of the fast food industries. Good music gives you a boost as well.

Dont expect to get a job and start pouring beers the first shift. My advice for those looking is to ask everywhere, and be prepared to settle for work as a glassy first.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
law_stud said:
Hey! I'm slated to get my RSA next week - part of my plan to get an awesome job over the summer holidays-
You'll need your RCG as well champ.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
law_stud said:

But then I've thought - well, f#ck, I'm worried I'll probably end up getting home at 3am every night, and not getting any sleep!

What are the things that you don't like, and really do like about your job? Is it in the city?

Are you going to end up a really jaded bar person? hehe
nah, chances are you're not going to end up getting home at 3am every night. last night we were closed at 9.30 and i was gone by 9.50. if you're working in a non-24 hour smaller pub the only days you'll ever have to stay past midnight are friday, saturday and any special events. it all depends where you're working, aim for somewhere that closes based on traffic rather than HAVING to be open til say midnight every night. fridays i work double shifts (lunch rush + nighttime) and i rarely finish after 2. in fact i don't think i've ever finished after 2 on a friday, maybe 3 at the latest. saturdays is a 9-5am shift but i don't have to do it atm :)

the things i do like - it's a lot of fun, and it's cool learning new drinks all the time. hehe i made my first real cocktails the other day and i was so proud that they didn't suck. if you've got good tippers, that's always a good thing... if you're a girl you can usually pull in a bit extra but it's not like guys never get tipped. i have a lot of really nice regular customers, like ones who actually invite you to sit with them on your breaks and stuff so that's cool, there's always someone to talk to. it's not really that hard. when it's really busy it doesn't usually bother me working a 13 or 14 hour shift as long as i've got something else to concentrate on. at the end of every shift you can always get a free drink (or, on fridays, a couple), tho that depends on your boss.

the things i don't like - your clothes will inevitably become encrusted with beer, and your shoes and socks get all soaked and squelchy :( some customers are dicks, although i don't get that many thank god. when you've got cuts on your hands, it sucks when people want lime in their drink cos it stings like a bitch. i get so bored just pouring beer all the time.

i can't really think of anything else i don't like, on the whole i would recommend it over retail etc. ooooh! another plus is you can basically tell customers to fuck off if they're being abusive or whatever... you have a lot more power than if you're, say, a checkout chick

if you don't want late hours all the time, then go for a pub rather than a club. we only become a nightclub (sorta) on saturdays so like i said, i generally don't have to work too late atm
it just all depends on the place you work at though... don't be picky when you start out, go where you can and then once you have a bit of experience, try applying to other places if you don't like the one you're at

ps. i walked straight into my pub with no experience whatsoever having gotten my rsa that DAY and they gave me a trial which turned into a job, without having to do any glassy work. my best friend works there though so i happened to know they needed people, i'd met the manager before, etc etc.

Last edited:

igottagetcha88

HSC
Umm.. if you get a RSA, do they teach u how to pour drinks and stuff? or is it just the ethics of serving alcohol??

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
katietheskatie said:
just ethics and all the legal stuff i believe?
yeah, thats right, RSA is just the law

a few places run them in conjuction with "bar courses" (i think is the most common term) they do teach you how to pour drinks etc. if your looking for one of them, just look in the Training Section of the Careers section of the newspaper.

i think Hostec runs one tho

igottagetcha88

HSC
thanks.. so before or after we get our rsa, we have to waste a good $500 on a cocktail/alcohol course?? can we do it through sch or uni?

HSC
sometimes yeah, especially if you're doing a hospitality course .. but some of the time i think just having an rsa is good enough for a bunch of places, and they teach you as you go or whatever.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
igottagetcha88 said:
Umm.. if you get a RSA, do they teach u how to pour drinks and stuff? or is it just the ethics of serving alcohol??
It stands for "Responsible Service of Alcohol". It teaches you about the responsible service of alcohol, not how to be Tom Cruise in Cocktail. I did mine over the mid-semester break, they taught us how to recognise intoxicated patrons your rights and your employer's rights during that sort of situation and the like. If you want to learn how to pour drinks, take a bartending course, but you'll be throwing good money after bad. They only really teach you how to pour a beer and how to open up and close down the bar.

Now that I've got my RSA, I'm looking to apply to a bar or pub in town, but I'm going to wait to next year when the valedicts have left. I'd rather work in a cocktail bar than a pub though, much mroe fun mixing up drinks.

kaylz

HSC
Yeah I want to get bar work. Is it worth doing a bar skills course and do I really neeeed my RCG? I got my RSA a month or so ago. I just think it sounds like it could be fun extra work for weekends and stuff, cos I've already got a pretty sweet job lined up full time for the holidays.

law_stud

HSC
N/A
blue_chameleon said:
You'll need your RCG as well champ.
Actually, that makes sense ...

I shall do it - thankx Katie, Townie, Blue_Cham, Objects for all tha tips!

Last edited:

law_stud

HSC
N/A
blue_chameleon said:
I work at a behind the bar at a nightclub in newcastle. The nights, especially wednesday (uni night), friday and saturdays can be pretty hectic if you're not ready for late hours in a high paced environment.

Overall, I like it in comparison to fast food industry because as Glycerine said, the majority of customers are better than the likes of the fast food industries. Good music gives you a boost as well.

Dont expect to get a job and start pouring beers the first shift. My advice for those looking is to ask everywhere, and be prepared to settle for work as a glassy first.

Thanks for the advice!

one more thing, it seems obvious that the glassy gets the glasses, washes the glasses [haha I sound so dumb] etc - but what else would I be doing if I did get a bar job but had to work as a glassy first?

I'm so going to apply

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)