Any back up plans?? (1 Viewer)

Estel

Tutor
HSC
[You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to inasero again.]
*gives a few random reps to a few random ppl, so don't take it as any form of gratitutde if i've given it to any of u by accident :p*
Nice site cadaver lover...

"maths in uni can get a lil dull i do maths for general education.. so ESTEL ure a real sicko.. if u do a full degree in "
meh... tis only 48 credit pts :p

so anyhow to repeat earlier q to justify this post, any medsci students round here? anythin in dat course worth knowin to combine with med?

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
i have done 6pts and im already kinda freaked by maths.. u need me to do another 42 :|!?

it has its moments but med is still wayyy more fun and practical

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I'm thinking if I don't get in until gradmed I'll double-major my science component in Nanotechnology and Medical. That way, if I [never get in/end up not liking] Medicine I can start up my own Medical Bionanotechnology company (making implants or something) and become rich.

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
Estel said:
[so anyhow to repeat earlier q to justify this post, any medsci students round here? anythin in dat course worth knowin to combine with med?

go to the unsw section (+ find optometry thread) and look for med@unsw sub-section
survivor 64 is doin it and he's loaded with advice

thanx for the pylori, and i remembered now, paramecium is a: (ahh, i lost it, what kingdom is it???????)......................

survivor convinced me to look forward to med sci, if i fail to get into med. i woulnd mind doin research. :p :cool: yeah!

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Oh you want me to answer? Ok.

In BSc I can choose any major I want, or even (with authorisation) construct my own. I can finish up with a degree that ISN'T a Bachelor of GAMSAT, with career prospects and (shock!) an interesting career lined up. With International Studies I get to do some of the cultural and interactive studies so treasured by Medical Schools (since it means I'll still be able to talk to the non-sciency crowd). I'll even be able to go overseas and see the world a bit for a year...an experience unto itself. Something I consider vital in the life of any medical candidate is experience living (as most interviewers do) so it all works out well for me. :)

inasero

Reborn
HSC
Something I consider vital in the life of any medical candidate is experience living
lol u should see half the students here...(me included) it's just eat, sleep and study!

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
inasero said:
lol u should see half the students here...(me included) it's just eat, sleep and study!
+ drink, eat , work.. if im lucky i can party :) tonight will be the first time since... thursday...

tho im cramming atm..
med sci is good ^^ me will hopefully do medsci in 5th yr..

inasero

Reborn
HSC
good point alvin! but..not all of us are beer-swillers :)
anyhows, isnt the degree at Adel 6 years? How can you suddenly do BMedSci? is it like the system at Monash, where you have to spend an extra year?

anyhows, good luck cramming and all! i know how u feel, i have a 5% summative exam monday week, doesnt count for much but i wanna be out or range of the borderline mark :p

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
yer its medsci(hons) in research.. so i take one year off between 5th and 6th.. and do it.. so ill graduate in 7 yrs.. or try to squeeze it in the end.. so that i can graduate with my friends..

mr EaZy

HSC
Lexicographer said:
Oh you want me to answer? Ok.

:)
thnx
so, isinternational studies a combined thing, and at which uni?, basically u do nano tech for some reason, then u want to do int studies to study other cultures and then, having a back ground in these two areas u think ur just thw kinda guy who is most loved by the med sschools :p ? ok then!! ;)

inasero

Reborn
HSC
he also likes chess and waving his mod stick on BoS~~ Surely the med schools should be throwing themselves onto him!!! :D:D:D:D

eskimo

It's cold outside
HSC
N/A
Hey Inasero, Ak told me youre the new Mod round heres for Med. Just dropping by to say hi. 6 days till our exam man. I have a feeling this one's gonna be tough!

inasero

Reborn
HSC
yes that is correct jonno...
and i am studying (or cramming rather) for it so i hope i don't do too badly, touchwood

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
mr EaZy said:
thnx
so, isinternational studies a combined thing, and at which uni?, basically u do nano tech for some reason, then u want to do int studies to study other cultures and then, having a back ground in these two areas u think ur just thw kinda guy who is most loved by the med sschools :p ? ok then!! ;)
Nano is better than medsci for two reasons. The first is that it prepares me equally for Medicine without focussing too much on GAMSAT a la BMedSc. The second is that I have a much better career at my feet afterwards if I abandon the quest for Medicine.

International studies is just for me, really. It's appealed to me for years, and I'm glad to be in on it now. I say again that I'd prefer the UNSW program for International Studies because it would allow me to study Japan and Germany, but UTS has the better Science course so here I stay.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
actualli thats better than medsci cos lik interviewers will see that ur planning and understanding of reality.. instead of ..just med just med.. cos its unrealistic especially for yr 12 leavers who dun realli understand the pressure of uni...

mr EaZy

HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
actualli thats better than medsci cos lik interviewers will see that ur planning and understanding of reality.. instead of ..just med just med.. cos its unrealistic especially for yr 12 leavers who dun realli understand the pressure of uni...
ok, i see where ur getting at. International studies is really about culture and stuff, not too much on politics? well, seeing that most of us wouldnt know wats goin on around the world like say europe/ asia/ africa, ur trying to say that interviewers will think of us as med student wanna be's , so intntal studies may help give u an instant boost. For me, i think when they get to know me, "they'll like me! :p " i mean, i know wats goin on around the globe, at least i think i do ;) . thnx

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Nope. His whole point is that I'm being realistic about my future in choosing to study something that will give me a career (and a life) if I don't end up in Medicine.

Admittedly the courses I've chosen will be excellent complements to my medical training*, but on their own they still serve me well.

*The Nanotechnology component prepares me equally well for the Physics, Chemistry and Biology material I'll need to relearn later. The International Studies will hopefully enhance my cultural sensitivity and openness to other people and ideas [insert extra artsy stuff here].

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)