Any advice? (1 Viewer)

*Ninny-mole*

The Power Is Yours...
HSC
Okay, I realise that this is a bit late to be asking, but I need people's advice about missing an exam. Tomorrow is my extension maths exam. I don't want to do it. Not because it isn't fun (which it isn't) but because I will get 0.
The only reason I'm doing it for the HSC is because my teachers said to keep it so it looks good on my resume, regardless if I fail or not. I won't be full on studying for it but I thought that without study I'd at least be able to do the first 3 questions. I can't even do that. Anyways, long story short, I really don't want to, and can't, do the exam. So if I just don't turn up, what happens?

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
You won't get an external mark.

And isn't not turning up, without having a valid excuse, just another method of "dropping" a subject? They'll just take it as a non-attempt or something and not give u any result for the subject. That's what I'm assuming anyway.

Last edited:

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
You're an idiot if you just don't turn up for the exam.

k8kate

Class of 06
HSC
just go. sit there for an hr
walk out

you should go

*Ninny-mole*

The Power Is Yours...
HSC
dagwoman said:
You're an idiot if you just don't turn up for the exam.
I'll also be an idiot if I go in there and get less than 10% despite 2 years of hard work in the subject.

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
That's still better than the alternative of not going, where you'd get zero. If you've done 2 years of such hard work, why wouldn't you sit the exam? And if you've done 2 years of hard work, why would you get less than 10%?

emily2005

HSC
N/A
what bout if u get an estimate? is ur assesment mark good?

*Ninny-mole*

The Power Is Yours...
HSC
dagwoman said:
If you've done 2 years of such hard work, why wouldn't you sit the exam? And if you've done 2 years of hard work, why would you get less than 10%?
You obviously don't understand how fucking shit it is to have done the whole course and have nothing to show for it. I would rather get a zero when I'm not there, then turn up and get a 0 after attempting the questions.

B35tY said:
Yes, fucking really. I'm fucking dumb. Is that ok?
I worked my ass off in Years 11 and 12 in extension maths and in Year 12 my highest mark was 32% (which just so happened to be my trial mark). It was very disappointing and I decided it wasn't worth my time anymore, but my teachers said to just keep doing the course, just don't do any work on it and focus on the 2u stuff. So I did. And now I'm stressing out because I have never gone into an exam this unprepared. I fyou don't do 3u, you obviously don't have the ability, and if you do 3u, then you have got to be able to fucking understand how difficult it is. This has been a frigon
self-esteem boost.

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
There's no need to get defensive. You asked for "any advice" and we gave our honest opinion. You will ALWAYS get a better mark by going to the exam and doing badly than not going. I find it hard to believe someone who has worked hard enough throughout years 11 and 12 and whose teachers had encouraged them to keep the course would get such a low mark. Just because we haven't agreed with what you want to hear doesn't mean we're being insensitive, just logical. You may as well give yourself the biggest opportunity to get as many marks as you can, rather than throwing in the towel because of ego.

*Ninny-mole*

The Power Is Yours...
HSC
dagwoman said:
There's no need to get defensive. You asked for "any advice" and we gave our honest opinion. You will ALWAYS get a better mark by going to the exam and doing badly than not going. I find it hard to believe someone who has worked hard enough throughout years 11 and 12 and whose teachers had encouraged them to keep the course would get such a low mark. Just because we haven't agreed with what you want to hear doesn't mean we're being insensitive, just logical. You may as well give yourself the biggest opportunity to get as many marks as you can, rather than throwing in the towel because of ego.
You think I actually have 'ego' after getting such low marks even though I have been putting the effort in?
I asked for advice, yes, so thankyou for the advice. BUT, I didn't ask for my frigon effort or study to be criticised. This is, obviously, somewhat of a sensitive issue with me, and it shits me off. I know I am stupid, but I don't need other people reminding me. And my teachers encouraged me to keep the course only because how it would look on a resume, not how good I am at it. They recognised that I was crap and told me not to study for 3u.
I'm "throwing in the towel" not because of my ego, but because I won't pass, it won't count towards my UAI, and because I get extremely stressed over it.​

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
english : i suck badly at it, but i still gave it my all. despite how much i suck at english, i always strived to do better.
this sometimes didn't work. my essays tht i wrote th i thought were great, onli earned mediocre marks. but i didn't stop persevering,, for if every1 were to stop persevering to break the personal best, the world would not get anywhere.

go into the exam, try ur hardest and nobody can blame you for the mark you get.
however, if u don't go into the exam, u'll havea guilty conscious as to "what if" you had gone in there. what would have happened, etc.

so go in that examination room tomorrow, try your best. you may not succeed, but u have tried your best and that's all that anyone could ask of you.

*Ninny-mole*

The Power Is Yours...
HSC
shinji said:
english : i suck badly at it, but i still gave it my all. despite how much i suck at english, i always strived to do better.
this sometimes didn't work. my essays tht i wrote th i thought were great, onli earned mediocre marks. but i didn't stop persevering,, for if every1 were to stop persevering to break the personal best, the world would not get anywhere.

go into the exam, try ur hardest and nobody can blame you for the mark you get.
however, if u don't go into the exam, u'll havea guilty conscious as to "what if" you had gone in there. what would have happened, etc.

so go in that examination room tomorrow, try your best. you may not succeed, but u have tried your best and that's all that anyone could ask of you.
Thankyou - honest, constructive and positive advice.

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
I was not trying to be negative, I was trying to be honest. When I said "ego" I didn't mean to imply you had a big one or anything like that- I'm sorry it came across that way. I just meant it's better to try and do badly than not try at all, just because you think you'll do badly if you try. Most of us gave the exact same advice as shinji, but in a more straightforward, abrupt manner. We didn't mean to criticise your work, we were simply criticising the "I may as well not try" attitude you seem to have towards it. This is a forum, a place for honest advice and opinions, and that's what you've been given.

ashimation

HSC
dagwoman said:
I was not trying to be negative, I was trying to be honest. When I said "ego" I didn't mean to imply you had a big one or anything like that- I'm sorry it came across that way. I just meant it's better to try and do badly than not try at all, just because you think you'll do badly if you try. Most of us gave the exact same advice as shinji, but in a more straightforward, abrupt manner. We didn't mean to criticise your work, we were simply criticising the "I may as well not try" attitude you seem to have towards it. This is a forum, a place for honest advice and opinions, and that's what you've been given.

Yeah, stop whinging. Do the friggin test and stop being a crybaby.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)