Any '07 law students? (1 Viewer)

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
I'm gonna be doing it at parra...anyone else?

L

LaraB

uh... this being a uws forum, one would be safe to assume that they meant uws people :p

welcome to UWS lol :)

Nice to see the cut off went up this year too! Back up to 90 :), whlist a lot of the other unis cut offs fell - definitely a good thing! especially since unis like Mac are only a few UAI's higher, with a downward trend so might even end up around the same soon...

You're lucky you're at parra too - i'm assuming your otehr half of your degree runs tehre too? Sooooo much more convenient! (I'm a B Bus/B Laws parra 3rd year student).

Just a hint if you don't already know about it - for textbooks - definitely look at lawbooks.com.au coz law books can be damn expensive.

Good as textbookexchange is - sometimes it's better to have the newer books, especially in 1st year, just to make sure :)

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
LaraB said:
uh... this being a uws forum, one would be safe to assume that they meant uws people :p

welcome to UWS lol :)

Nice to see the cut off went up this year too! Back up to 90 :), whlist a lot of the other unis cut offs fell - definitely a good thing! especially since unis like Mac are only a few UAI's higher, with a downward trend so might even end up around the same soon...

You're lucky you're at parra too - i'm assuming your otehr half of your degree runs tehre too? Sooooo much more convenient! (I'm a B Bus/B Laws parra 3rd year student).

Just a hint if you don't already know about it - for textbooks - definitely look at lawbooks.com.au coz law books can be damn expensive.

Good as textbookexchange is - sometimes it's better to have the newer books, especially in 1st year, just to make sure :)
Hey..thanks for the warm greeting:p
I noticed how macquaries cut offs for law went down quite a bit and about uws' cut off goin back up to the 90's is probably the minimum it should stay (based on nothing other than law should still b challenging to get into imo:p).

My other half of the degree will also be at parra however I am stuck on what to choose. I have the B Business options or B Economics. What Business stream are you doing?

And thanks for the lawbooks advice:)

L

LaraB

ari89 said:
Hey..thanks for the warm greeting:p
I noticed how macquaries cut offs for law went down quite a bit and about uws' cut off goin back up to the 90's is probably the minimum it should stay (based on nothing other than law should still b challenging to get into imo:p).

My other half of the degree will also be at parra however I am stuck on what to choose. I have the B Business options or B Economics. What Business stream are you doing?

And thanks for the lawbooks advice:)
I'm doing B Bus(Human Resource Management and Industrial Relations).

Personally, sinc ei'm doing my degree for law and the other half is more the "good toi have extra" thing, i chose this because it's not too restrictive and its useful - no matter what job you do, a knowledge of HRM/IR is really useful.

You do different stuff - management type stuff; Industrial relations/legalistic stuff like IR strategy, ENterprise IR; human resources stuff like remuneration; sociology/psychology style units; practical units like Negotiation, Bargaining and Advocacy; you even get in an economics unit :p

I think it's good because it covers a wide range of areas and leaves more options open employment wise.

That and i can't stand anything numeric/economic (hilarious since i managed to top the one eco unit we do lol :p) so accounting and economics were pretty much out for me.

I suggest you have a read through the course handbooks - they go through the units you do, so you can click on each and have a read through the unit description so you'll get a better idea of what each course involves - the names can be deceptive sometimes :)

the link is - http://www.uws.edu.au/about/acadorg/colleges/business/courses - just pick the course and then the units and it's all pretty self-explanatory from there :)

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
LaraB said:
I'm doing B Bus(Human Resource Management and Industrial Relations).

Personally, sinc ei'm doing my degree for law and the other half is more the "good toi have extra" thing, i chose this because it's not too restrictive and its useful - no matter what job you do, a knowledge of HRM/IR is really useful.

You do different stuff - management type stuff; Industrial relations/legalistic stuff like IR strategy, ENterprise IR; human resources stuff like remuneration; sociology/psychology style units; practical units like Negotiation, Bargaining and Advocacy; you even get in an economics unit :p

I think it's good because it covers a wide range of areas and leaves more options open employment wise.

That and i can't stand anything numeric/economic (hilarious since i managed to top the one eco unit we do lol :p) so accounting and economics were pretty much out for me.

I suggest you have a read through the course handbooks - they go through the units you do, so you can click on each and have a read through the unit description so you'll get a better idea of what each course involves - the names can be deceptive sometimes :)

the link is - http://www.uws.edu.au/about/acadorg/colleges/business/courses - just pick the course and then the units and it's all pretty self-explanatory from there :)
Thanks heaps!
I've been reading the handbook but it never occurred to me to click on the units:p

L

LaraB

aliasfan said:
im doing law, 'cept my other half is at penrith campus. hows law at parra?
Good :) classes are at an alright size, probably easier to get to for most people too compared to c'town wihch is a good thing...

Teachers are really friendly and helpful, although that's the same for all teh campuses since they travel back and forth some times.

Parra i personally find better for early law unist simply because a lot at c'town are in a 4hr seminar format whereas parra are in 2x2hr formats - means you don't need as long a concentration span lol and you can have some time to think about stuff and bring back questions for the next class.

Very little distance to travel between classes as the majority of law classes run in the new building so often you just have to walk next door :)

*sasha*

HSC
parramatta. and human resources. i was gunna do finance but i was scared itd be way too math-sey for me. what about u?

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
*sasha* said:
parramatta. and human resources. i was gunna do finance but i was scared itd be way too math-sey for me. what about u?
parra with finance & economics

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
Jonathan A said:
I welcome you to UWS.

As law students, I recommend you visit: www.uwslsa.com for our upcoming events with the Law Students' Association.
Thanks...and to see a picture of you?

g_dob

HSC
1 curious question-
during law lectures do people use paper pads or laptops for note taking?

L

LaraB

g_dob said:
1 curious question-
people use whatever they wanna use...

books, loose leaf, note pads, lap tops, record lectures (with teachers permission first tho)...

it's not like school, you just do what you want.

You'll figure out what works best for you after a few weeks.

It depends on the class, the teacher, the classroom, the unit etc as to how you take notes, if you do, during class.

Jonathan A

HSC
g_dob said:
1 curious question-

Some people don't even bring materials (probably not the best thing to do).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)