ANU or UniMelb? (1 Viewer)

IcEy

HSC
Sorry for making a new thread - I know how much the mods hate it, but I'd really like some advice on this matter.

I've just got my UAI, 99.80, and I've applied to do law/commerce at ANU and UniMelb and USyd. I live in Canberra with my parents.

I'd really like to go to Melbourne, because I love the city and I love the uni, and I'll get in to my course. But, accomodation will be a huge problem, beause we can't afford the colleges, and we have no family/relatives down there, so I'll probably go to a student hostel. Even then, though, it'll be ridiculously difficult, financially, and probably otherwise, seeing as I'll have to balance uni, living and jobs.

I won't get a scholarship to melbourne uni, because they don't consider you unless you get above 99.90.

But, I think I have a chance of getting a scholarship to ANU and to USyd. This is where the dilemma is. I hate Sydney cause its dirty and racist and I just don't like it, and I don't want to stay another 6 years in Canberra. I've lived here for 11 years already...11 years too long.

Also, I want to move away from my parents, I want to be independant, you know? I want to do things myself, yeah? I need a new start, I want a new place...anyone feel the same way?

So I'm thinking, what should I do if I get a scholarship to ANU? I probably won't, but i'm just wondering. Would it be worth it staying here? Would no HECs and $10000 a year be worth the lack of new experiences? Sure I could move out of my parent's house, but I'll still be in this same old city. I think what you guys have to understand is that I really really want to get out of here...for various, very good reasons which I shall not list.

Yeah, your opinions would be very welcome.

arooshika...

HSC
do what you really want to do. im going to anu or im on the edge of convincing them to let me go because not only am i interested in the course but a whole new environment...so i cant wait to getinto that uni

edit: convince my parents

Last edited:

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
go to usyd or melb and give me your ANU offer :(

IcEy

HSC
Its just that financially, things would be so much easier if I went wherever I got a scholarship. I don't think my parents would ever forgive me if I turned one down. We're dead broke.

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
i guess you can always work part time.

If i make anu that's what i'd be doing.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I hate Sydney cause its dirty and racist and I just don't like it, and I don't want to stay another 6 years in Canberra. I've lived here for 11 years already...11 years too long.
Sydney is one of the most multi-cultural cities in the world, Australia is also one of the few countries to have multi-culturalism as an official policy.

arooshika...

HSC
u got such a good uai, i wish i had a uai like yours but anyways try and get youth allownce from austudy or centrelink, thats what im doing and also fill in a financial form, just that im trying to find it on the ANU website

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
Congrats on your awesome UAI :)

I really suggest making a list of the pros and cons. At ANU you would most certainly recieve one of the undergrad scholarships, but if you really want to leave Canberra, I would suggest USyd. It is a great city, great uni and you would have the scholarship to assist you. Or you could just follow your heart and go to Melbourne and work or something, plus there may be other scholarships you can apply for that are not contingent on what uni you go too but what course you choose, most of them are just $1000 grants or something, but still might be of help.

krabby_me

Footy Fan (go cats)
HSC
I'd say go to ANU. Youre gonna be around a whole new group of people that you've never met before, and by knowing your way around everyone will want to know you.
You can always get a scholarship and stay with some mates in a flat or something and be completely independent from your parents.

IcEy

HSC
Thanks a lot for the advice guys. I've applied for some scholarships at the Trinity college. Not sure if I'll get it. Anywa,y in the mean time, I'll get back to my job, and try earn some :-D

7th Sign

HSC
go to where ever give you the cash mate....

sydney is not racist, I live in the shire the apparent racist capital of aus and believe me its not racist around here...

sydney is the best option imo...

gorgo31

HSC
Bump.

Go to Melbourne. I'm making the move too, but from Sydney, having saved a shitload of money and prepared myself mentally for it. It's an exceptional opportunity to step out of your comfort zone, try something new, take a character-building risk blah blah insert more inspiration-inducing rhetoric here. I also know no one down there, and haven't even been to the city for three years.

Whatever happens in Melbourne, there's always the possibility of transfers to ANU and I'm sure your family will back you up if you can't support yourself.

Good luck :)

jackal8

HSC
IcEy said:
Thanks a lot for the advice guys. I've applied for some scholarships at the Trinity college. Not sure if I'll get it. Anywa,y in the mean time, I'll get back to my job, and try earn some :-D
i recently stayed at trinity college during a sporting ocmpetition that was held in melbourne, its a really nice place (easily one fo the best residentials). but i have to say Sydney is not the hole you may think it is, all my cousins (lots of them) live in canberra and they all believe its really polluted etc... if you've been to usyd you'll see the really freindly environment.

judging from your first post, usyd seems liek the best option.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)