ANU law? (1 Viewer)

doggogo8

HSC
I am fairly interested in doing law at ANU with a combined degree 137445
Acturial studies/Laws , but somehow the UAI score is 95 which is quite low.

Does it effect my ability to practice law in the future and will it be a setback if i want to be hired?

Also ,why does Macquarie has a lower UAI in law , 95.45 (commerce /law) ?

Is UNSW and University of Sydney really more benificial in finding jobs?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
The only real disadvantage of NOT going to USyd or UNSW for Law is the chance that your potential employer is a snob and old-fashioned and would only hire grads from those 2 uni's..

Farcanell

bearpooh said:
Why do you think it is called the 4th best university in Sydney ?
Also known as the Claytons Uni.
"The uni you go to when you dont go to uni"
Thats a little unfair... macquarie seems to get ranked above UTS far more often than vice-versa (yet to see it happen)...

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
The problem with doing law at ANU is that you don't have the opporunities to network with sydney law firms and/or do internships with them, hence a graduate from any of the four sydney uni's has a better chance at getting a job with a sydney law firm.

That said if you do end up at UWS do honours or even a masters to make you shit-hot and employable, you could even do your masters at one of the 4. Or do well at UWS and transfer after the first year.

Ziff

HSC
N/A
ANU has internship programmes to Sydney law firms.

Jesus!

Jeebus
HSC
N/A
Minai said:
The only real disadvantage of NOT going to USyd or UNSW for Law is the chance that your potential employer is a snob and old-fashioned and would only hire grads from those 2 uni's..

Like Freehills, Blake Dawson Waldron and Mallesons Stephen Jaques and other top firms that seeminly only take usyd, unsw and a smattering of ANU and UTS.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Jesus! said:
Like Freehills, Blake Dawson Waldron and Mallesons Stephen Jaques and other top firms that seeminly only take usyd, unsw and a smattering of ANU and UTS.
BDW seem very nice actually

1000words

HSC
Despite how obvious this might sound, keep in mind also that having a framed degree from a 'top-2' university does not necessarily guarantee a spot in your desired firm/employer either. It highly depends on the individual's profile and if you're not the cream of the crop at any of the universities, your chances drop significantly (at least according to the current climate). Employers will look closely at your extra-curricular activities which are not university specific.

Ziff

HSC
N/A
What sort of extra-curricular activities are valued?

Public speaking, internships at law firms or the Federal Parliament, debating, community/volunteer work, possibly overseas exchange?

1000words

HSC
Ziff said:
What sort of extra-curricular activities are valued?
Hi Ziff,

Broadly, I believe employers value individuals who show that they can maintain a balance between academic studies and extracurricular activities. At the moment, I can generally categorise 'extra-curricular activities' into two: the first being leisurely interests and second, legal interests.

1. Leisurely interests

Leisurely interests that demonstrate you are able to:
a) work in a team
b) lead a team
c) maintain a healthy lifestyle
d) an interest outside of law and able to excel in activities outside of law

2. Legal experience

Ziff said:
Public speaking, internships at law firms or the Federal Parliament, debating, community/volunteer work, possibly overseas exchange?
Those you listed are great, with a particular emphasis towards internships. I agreed with most of what I read in the recent AFR article: Summer windfall for a talented few (Dec 17) http://afr.com/premium/articles/2004/12/16/1102787207687.html

However, you must keep in mind particular experience that promotes your profile towards your desired career path and that doing other activities may work against you.

For example, someone who does a lot of volunteer work at community legal centres may not promote themselves at corporate firms when stacked against other applicants who have had more experience at commercial firms. In contrast, an applicant wishing to get a position in a public interest position may not be in a great position with a profile lined with major commercial firms and little community work. Also, I have noticed that people who have work experience in small firms have less interviews offered by large firms and vice versa - one who has experience in a range of small-mid-large-mega firms is in an ideal position if they're unsure which type of firm they would like to work in and wants the largest number of interviews offered to them.

I hope that helps somewhat. Best of luck!

Regards,
David

1000words

HSC
Jesus! said:
Who do you work for?
Why do you ask? If I know this, I can better answer the question to help you. I have graduated from a science/law degree and will start a graduate position at a law firm next year. My advice is based on personal experience, personal experiences from friends and acquaintances and my conversation with HR people.

I hope that helps!

Regards,
David

1000words

HSC
1000words said:
Why do you ask? If I know this, I can better answer the question to help you. I have graduated from a science/law degree and will start a graduate position at a law firm next year. My advice is based on personal experience, personal experiences from friends and acquaintances and my conversation with HR people.

I hope that helps!

Regards,
David

Jesus! said:
Ok. Do you work for a private law firm or a government body or as part of a legal team of a company that has its interests laid away from the area of law ie they are not a law firm?
Again, why do you ask? Why am I so special? I seem to already have answered your latest question.

1000words

HSC
Jesus! said:
You are special because you are the only law graduate on this forum.
Hi there Jesus,

I do realise that there have not been many law graduates offering advice on this forum although I do think that this thread is more about someone else and in relation to ANU. There is another thread where I answer questions specifically about myself under 'Answers about Law'. Nonetheless, I have always been happy to answer questions.

Jesus! said:
Many people like to know about the processes that you underwent in seeking employment. Certain people might like to know the different paths people take. What path a person may take if they would like to work for a large firm or say for a public department or as part of a team of in house lawyers for a non legally based firm.

Asking whether you work for a large law firm or for a public department is not going to shatter your pirvacy.

If you feel like not telling us which seems to be the case then fine. I'm not asking you to list your contact details. I'm asking what area and for who you will be working for, mainly because for some on this forum your path may coincide with their own desired path.
I suspected that the reason you asked were for the reasons you have just outlined above - and that is why I provided an answer in anticipation about my background despite the question coming from left field. I do realise that law students are interested in learning about the experiences of those who have taken the path before them - and that is why I am here for the moment. As I have stated, I offer advice as to my personal experiences and personal experiences of friends and people I know of. Furthermore, I have provided particular advice in other threads started by those interested in undertaking a science/law degree.

Hence, I was even more curious why you asked the question again despite me answering both your first and follow-up question. My first response was that I was being employed in a law firm. You then asked me whether I was going to work in a law firm, government body or in-house.

So now, I am confused as to why you think that I am withholding anything when I believe that you did not read or understand my response. Hence, I wondered why you ask and continue to ask because this will clarify whether I have not answered your question as you understand it.

Regards,
David

claudia_p

HSC
1000words said:
Hi there Jesus,

I do realise that there have not been many law graduates offering advice on this forum although I do think that this thread is more about someone else and in relation to ANU. There is another thread where I answer questions specifically about myself under 'Answers about Law'. Nonetheless, I have always been happy to answer questions.

I suspected that the reason you asked were for the reasons you have just outlined above - and that is why I provided an answer in anticipation about my background despite the question coming from left field. I do realise that law students are interested in learning about the experiences of those who have taken the path before them - and that is why I am here for the moment. As I have stated, I offer advice as to my personal experiences and personal experiences of friends and people I know of. Furthermore, I have provided particular advice in other threads started by those interested in undertaking a science/law degree.

Hence, I was even more curious why you asked the question again despite me answering both your first and follow-up question. My first response was that I was being employed in a law firm. You then asked me whether I was going to work in a law firm, government body or in-house.

So now, I am confused as to why you think that I am withholding anything when I believe that you did not read or understand my response. Hence, I wondered why you ask and continue to ask because this will clarify whether I have not answered your question as you understand it.

Regards,
David

you can tell just by his post that he's a lawyer!

Poker_Face

HSC
doggogo8 said:
I am fairly interested in doing law at ANU with a combined degree 137445
Acturial studies/Laws

do u know how hectic this course is?
does anyone know?

Lainee

HSC
Jesus! said:
I'm sure they are Mister unsw :)

I dont think the practice is very old fashioned since it still happens. In that it's a current fashion/trend - ie the practice is current fashion not old. Old fashion implies that the trend or practice doesnt happen anymore.

Standstone buildings are old fashioned because the practice or trend of building standstone buildings is now past and finished. If people still built standstone buildings then it would be current practice or a current trend or fashion. Hence it would not be old fashioned.
I think you meant sandstone. Blocks of rock formed by compressed sand. :eek: Sorry, saving you the cringing in case you say that in front of someone who picks up on it.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
bearpooh don't you think that your barb disgusied as a query was a little to bellicose?

My lexicon is engorged - with words, long, oft-unused and mal-used words.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)