ANU Fully Catered Accommodation Offers (1 Viewer)

cricketfan10

HSC
im hoping i dont get an offer until someone declines theirs at a catering hall so i can somehow get that spot. :D

but seriously, a late round offer from monash would be pretty damn good at the moment..

Last edited:

ephorex

HSC
Hi, I've been following this thread and forum for a while now, especially after deciding to change from Melb Uni to ANU this year.

From what it seems, people who don't have a spot atm are starting to get shoved into UL (I've been under consideration by UL since the 23rd =.=) wholesale.

So, to get to the point of this rambling post, it seems that there'll be many more 1st years at UL this year because of the accommodation crisis; once we get our places confirmed, anyone interested in meeting up and getting to know one another/make the settling-in period easier?

garrybarry

HSC
lol at all the hate towards UL. Almost makes me want to give up my spot at Bruce and go there to prove everybody wrong. A couple of you are all up for the place. You've no got instant friends living in the same building, most probably along with lots of other 1st years.

emiline

HSC
Well at least you all are being considered for the place...right now it isn't looking too bad!
Yeah I so agree about snagging someone else's rejected catered spot...maybe there is just the four of us that they have set aside for that very reason! Although tomorrow or even (god help us lol) next week it would have been enough time for people to either accept or reject their hall places and we might get rejects!
But if all else fails, we will work UniLodge lol...at least we will all be in the same boat!

cricketfan10

HSC
Hi, I've been following this thread and forum for a while now, especially after deciding to change from Melb Uni to ANU this year.

From what it seems, people who don't have a spot atm are starting to get shoved into UL (I've been under consideration by UL since the 23rd =.=) wholesale.

So, to get to the point of this rambling post, it seems that there'll be many more 1st years at UL this year because of the accommodation crisis; once we get our places confirmed, anyone interested in meeting up and getting to know one another/make the settling-in period easier?
if we all get UL then yeah, im up for that :)

tbh the UL rooms look pretty neat...but the fact it's self-catered (i know, thats about the 34902842390482nd time ive brought that up), more expensive and has a bad social rep (altho we can fix that this yr maybe) is reason enough you'd rather not go there. garrybarry, im happy to take up ur spot at bruce in case you refuse :p

Last edited:

ephorex

HSC
lol my point exactly ephorex. You're a thinker, that's for sure.
Sorry, but I didn't quite get what your post was saying, but I'm glad I agreed with it nonetheless =P

Anyway, for the mostpart, it's true that being shoved into a place where you probably won't have any prior friends and where you have to cook etc etc by yourself will make you more mature.; it did for my friends last year.

Similarly, without friends at college, unless you're a total pariah, you'll be forced to broaden your social network and start from scratch, necessitating mixing with people with whom you'd probably not normally mix with (again, more titbits of experience from my friends =P)

So yeah, I guess it won't be THAT bad at UL (and the decor and facilities are AWESOME)...right?? Anyway, that's my 2 cents on that - hope I won't be proven wrong.

imallergic

HSC
I'm all up for UniLodge - it'd be OK living there - just the cost is what worries me.

ephorex

HSC
Well at least you all are being considered for the place...right now it isn't looking too bad!
Yeah I so agree about snagging someone else's rejected catered spot...maybe there is just the four of us that they have set aside for that very reason! Although tomorrow or even (god help us lol) next week it would have been enough time for people to either accept or reject their hall places and we might get rejects!
But if all else fails, we will work UniLodge lol...at least we will all be in the same boat!
Haha cheap, but effective >.< anyway, if I get into Bruce (my first pref), it'll be good because I have friends there (and I lived there for 4 days at a friend's dorm); if I get UL, I'll be happy coz Bruce rooms.....not exactly to my taste, diplomatically put.

And besides, as for the food, if we end up in UL in a room with other people (up to 6 people in a room??), we can take turns cooking =)

ephorex

HSC
I'm all up for UniLodge - it'd be OK living there - just the cost is what worries me.
Yeah, it's pretty ****ing expensive eh?? And the contract length is for 48 weeks minimum!! @_______@

I've asked another of my friends who does Dent in Adelaide, and he says he spends about 30-40 on food per week....with the caveat being that he says he's cheap...so I guess the average weekly expenditure would be...50-60 p/w on food??

Ouch....

ephorex

HSC
So would you accept the UniLodge offer if that's all they offered you?
I would @__@

Better than being stuck somewhere off campus with little to no access to a social network (apart from a grubby roomate who might be someone who takes a fancy to blowing his nose on old socks)

Why, wouldn't you? Accept the offer, I mean.

imallergic

HSC
I could probably swing it if I was put in one of the 5 or 6 room apartments, but anything other than that would be stretching it. I'm gonna have to live on my own income, that's why - my parents are pissed off about me moving.

chuckyhol

HSC
I could probably swing it if I was put in one of the 5 or 6 room apartments, but anything other than that would be stretching it. I'm gonna have to live on my own income, that's why - my parents are pissed off about me moving.
You go girl.

ephorex

HSC
Ahh...that's no good; lack of parental support is a bit...difficult, esp these days.

Also, if you check the prices on the UL site (and I'm guessing/HOPING we're getting Kinloch), getting a 5 room multishare or a 6 room multishare is about 11k, which is about 300 less than most of the other choices.

Seeing as we're on the subject, I'd probably want to stay in a 4-5 bedroom multishare. Or even a 6 roomer - everyone cooks once a week, and pizza on sunday =P

I wonder whether we get to pick how many people we want with us, or whether we get allocated, say, a 2-share without any input from us.

Oh btw, do you have a job arranged in Canberra yet?

Last edited:

dreamee

HSC
same situation as you, imallergic.

But i'm seriously considering a share house atm... is there anyone on this forum who's interested in looking for one? is the share house situation really that bad in Canberra at this time of year?

Has anyone here been in a UL 6 person share room? any experiences to share?

and *sigh* how do they do choose people anyway?

Last edited:

ephorex

HSC
Hmm...just wondering how people got into Bruce. Surfing the ANU forum for the past 8 days since offers came out, I've heard of ONE non-international student get into Bruce.

Kinda makes you wonder what you needed to get into Bruce. I think someone mentioned gender/degree/interest balancing comes into play, which is really dodgy.

I mean ffs, you can't help your gender, for starters.

Anyone else heard of someone who got in Bruce this year??

imallergic

HSC
Nah, I don't have a job secured yet - I'm kinda screwed. But I'm going up there this weekend to see if I can find one before any of the other newbies come.

Yeah, I'm definitely interested in a share-house if it works out to be cheaper. PM me if you get serious about it.

And yeah, I was under consideration for Bruce for a while now, til they recently changed it to B&G then UniLodge. I dunno - did anyone actually give them extra details like references and stuff? Is that what you needed to do to get in?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)