Antony and Cleo (1 Viewer)

kalinda

HSC
i started this thread before however it seems to have disapeared from the forum so i start it again

asking at the moment if anyone knows of any good addtional text that would work well with a&c

i think that gladiator is a good addition text to use
so if anyone else can think of another text it be great to have some more to choose from

ciao
kalinda

emmo

hey i really need somehelp i have an assessment tomorrow and i need a supplementary text to compare to Antony and Cleopatra... so basically on powerplay i was thinking about the movie Elizabeth but i need somehelp on how it is a Powerplay if any one has any info it will be greatly appreciated
Thanx:)

Wohzazz

HSC
Oh the supplementaries. I'm having trouble too. It is hard to find a good text with aspects of politics as well as powerplay of love relationships evident in A&C.

kalinda

HSC
i found political speeches to be great sources of powerplay such as George bush and all those great leaders of before our time

nick86

I second the George Bush speeches. Im using one for my assessment task. The task is on the last day of term in the last period of the day :(

enter~space~cap

{Enter-Space-Capsule}
Im using this famous image called 'tiananmen Tank Man'; It shows during the Tiananmen Massacre, one man brave enough to stand against a column of tanks stopping their movement. The soldiers in the tank refused to fire upon the man.

It shows the authoritarian power of politics and political corruption (Scene from Tiananmen Massacre), but then it shows the unbreakable spiritual and moral power of the common people brave enough to stand against them.

Oh yeah nick, by any chance ru from Cumbo?

Last edited:

leginag

Sydney, NSW, Australia, Southern Hemisphere
that's a pretty good picture... but with antony and cleo....its important to remember the female politics and the power that cleopatra wields.
I've found that some novels on ancient rome... based in the imperial time...were useful as they basically mirror the same power struggles.... but as a different text type is necessary...gladiator seems a good idea... any oda suggestions??

jimmik

HSC
my eng teacher suggested using the movie chicago or animal farm.

razzarach

keep smiling :)
HSC
The related texts that we were given were: Poem - Porphyrias Lover and The Last Duchess by Robert Browning, Movie - Elisabeth (with Cate Blanchett), and there were a stack of newspaper articles on the 29th June about all this political powerplay with John Howard and George Bush. Hope this helps! :)

SharkBait

HSC
supplementary material

yeah...those ideas proposed were very helpful. as for A+C, i think 'cruel intention' will be good coz it involves gender/sexual powerplay. although i wanna know if our related material has to encompass more than 1 type of power?

gabn

HSC
Teachers list.
Films:
wag the dog, gladiator, the man who sued god, erin brokavich, the firm, a few good men, 12 angry men, animal farm, julius caesar, the insider, wall street, the club, citizan kane, ran- kuransawa, american history x, primary colours.
Prose Fiction:
Animal farm, the power of one , 1984 , the handmaids tail- attwood.
Static visuals:
Moir cartoons SMH, News photographs- iraq etc..
New articles:
Domestic australain politics
International relations
Bullying in schools, workplace.

I'm looking at doing being john malkovich. yet to pick my secound piece of related text.

Wohzazz

HSC
gabn said:
Teachers list.
Films:
wag the dog, gladiator, the man who sued god, erin brokavich, the firm, a few good men, 12 angry men, animal farm, julius caesar, the insider, wall street, the club, citizan kane, ran- kuransawa, american history x, primary colours.
Prose Fiction:
Animal farm, the power of one , 1984 , the handmaids tail- attwood.
Static visuals:
Moir cartoons SMH, News photographs- iraq etc..
New articles:
Domestic australain politics
International relations
Bullying in schools, workplace.

I'm looking at doing being john malkovich. yet to pick my secound piece of related text.
Hmm, i got a film already need something else like an article, cartoon or novel. Any one know of any short fast, yet good sups

papaevan

A good powerplay related text

here are two good works to use for powerplay, both are egyptian sculptures
(one is a temple), look in art books and the context of both. (this is proabalby more suited for peope who do art)

Menkaure and Queen Khamererneby is a slate sculpture made between 2548-2530BC ... think about the power he has over her, he is more rigid a pose and steps forward more, he displays mroe domance/power over her.

Abu Simbel Temple was a work commissioned by the Pharaoh Ramses II was one of the many architectual works made by Ramses in an attempt to establish both his and Egypt's dominance . Ramses established this temple in Nubia (which waswnt part of his Kingdom, he but it here making a stamtent about his power exceeding Egyption jusidction. Also they are four very large scaled sculptures of him up from displaying power as he is in the pose and sculputural format that egyptian Phoarahs tend to be.

youll have to look at them yourselves though.

the xc3ption

my school just started anthony and celo so...

i think that most teachers suggest 'Animal Farm' as a text for an accompaning text.

anyhow
my school just started this module so can anyone give me a suggestion or clue about what this module is for and what we are suppose to achieve?
thanks!! :)

Wohzazz

HSC
minnie minh- i started a new thread on this
My understanding is that you explore power relationships and 'tactics' people use to gain power over other people. the more direct powerplay is if there are two parties in power in direct confrontation trying to gain power over other, which is evident in the play.
The sup is hard because i choose an article and i cant explore 'direct' powerplay if you know what i mean. It is only one sided (like Bush using manipulation to achieve his ends)

Bolshavic

Old member
HSC
13 days is a good related text, about the cuban missle crisis. The Russians having power over the US 'cause of the fear of the missles + the coup in Russia when the president decides to negotiate.

cazaxx

HSC
N/A
gladiator and george bush as powerplay

gabn and kalinda

you both thougth gladiator was a good powerplay text
would u have any notes on it?

also to everyone, you said that george bush speeches are good. can you tell me how u anotate them and what techniques you found.

please reply soon cos my assessment task is due in 2 days

fwuxed

Channeling Ki
HSC
Julius Caesar is right under your nose.

Use Antony's speech in Julius Caesar, where he's confronting Brutus, not the entire text.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)