Answers about Law (1 Viewer)

1000words

HSC
Lainee said:
The idea that Commerce/Law is so immensely popular has really turned me off the combination. My past experiences, interests and skills would probably put me in good stead for this combination but the stigma attached to it (especially with asian Commerce/Law students) has in fact made me dig deeper for other combinations that could possibly interest me. The number of Commerce/Law graduates flooding the job market would probably make it difficult for me to distinguish myself as well. Is this be a valid concern?
Hi Lainee,

I do not believe that Commerce/Law graduates are 'flooding' the job market in the sense that it's 'going to happen'. This is particularly because commerce/law graduates have always been, in my experience, the most popular type of law graduates. It's great that you're exploring other options, although distinguishing yourself as a graduate lies not on the course that you do but how you do throughout your course. If your past experiences, interests and skills put you in good stead for commerce/law, then you're in a good position to build on that to create an exceptional profile throughout university and thus distinguish yourself as an ideal candidate.

Lainee said:
I know that there is no such thing as the 'most favourable' combination, but would choosing Commerce/Law actually work against me. Another combination that was I considering was Science (Psychology)/Law, which to me doesn't have the same stigma attached to it, and would probably appeal to employers more. It's just that my interests are so versatile that any advice which says 'choose based on where your interests lie' doesn't really help me. However, my main interest is law. Not the combined degree. I don't anticipate a career in business nor psychology, but I'm looking for a degree which presents me in the most positive light to potential employers.
I still maintain that you should stick to your interests and, despite having versatile interests, dig deeper into which you prefer. Remember that you're making a significant decision which will outline the next five years of your life and they're very contrasting choices.

Whilst I understand that your main interest is law, it's important to realise that you haven't yet started the degree and that there may be different aspects of the law that you like/dislike. In particular, you may love the law relating to an area that does not require you to become a lawyer. It's only during university, right up to applying for jobs, will you discover the options that are available to you. The range of options lean to a particular direction depending on the combination that you choose. In other words, you should pay more attention to the combination, rather than just law.

For example, and in regard to presenting yourself in the most positive light to potential employers, you should pursue your most preferred interest because you likely do not know who your potential employer is at this stage. I say this because the range of 'potential employers' will become evident once you pursue a particular area of interest (such as law) and the employer has business in that area, and you will most likely (at least preferably) seek employers that practice in your area of interest. In other words, employment is a two-way streak based on compatible interests.

Once you know better who you preferred type of employer is (commercial law firm, self-employed barrister, suburban law firm, government department - the list goes on and each top category splits into many others), you're then in a better position to pitch yourself and build a specific profile. Law is also not 'just law' because there are many different aspects (i.e. litigation vs transactional), as I've mentioned, and areas of law (from family law to corporate law). This is the area of risk because whilst you promote yourself to a particular area, you will then have to expect that you may find it tougher to sell yourself in a contrasting area i.e. barrister v solicitor.

Lainee said:
David, do you think that your Science/Law combination allowed you to distinguish yourself more from the thousands of law graduates each year?
I apologise in advance if I repeat myself from what I've written above. As a science/law graduate, I still had to distinguish myself from the other science/law graduates as there are still quite a lot of them. Commercial law firms in particular also seek graduates with commercial accumen, so as a science/law student, you will need to put in extra effort to strengthen that area.

Again, what I used to distinguish myself was not so much the course that I was in, but the extracurricular activities relating to both tertiary studies and life outside of university. These elements naturally provide a true answer to the questions of 'what distinguishes you as a science/law student from a commerce/law student' and/or 'what distinguishes you as a commerce/law student from other commerce/law students'.

I hope that helps Lainee. Best of luck!

David

Lainee

HSC
Thanks alot for the speedy reply, David! I see what you mean though... I think I may just stick with Commerce/Law then because even though I might have some interest in Psychology, business would probably be more comfortable for me. And if my concerns about having trouble 'distinguishing myself' aren't really valid... well, I suppose I must start building a distinguishable CV then. Thanks for helping me with this decision!

1000words

HSC
Lainee said:
Thanks alot for the speedy reply, David! I see what you mean though... I think I may just stick with Commerce/Law then because even though I might have some interest in Psychology, business would probably be more comfortable for me. And if my concerns about having trouble 'distinguishing myself' aren't really valid... well, I suppose I must start building a distinguishable CV then. Thanks for helping me with this decision!
No worries, best of luck!

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey David, how does a batting average of 75ish/Distinctions pan out for (in particular, H2A in Melb) Commerce/Law as far as career prospects go? O, and nothing less than 70.

1000words

HSC
Omnidragon said:
Hey David, how does a batting average of 75ish/Distinctions pan out for (in particular, H2A in Melb) Commerce/Law as far as career prospects go? O, and nothing less than 70.
Hi Omnidragon,

It's difficult to say whether a H2A (75-ish) average in Law will land people jobs. I'd say that it would certainly provide for a decent handful of interviews but I strongly agree that firms do look beyond marks for recruitment. I do know of people in my year who missed out on jobs despite having H1s, H2As etc but obviously, most people with high averages did end up with jobs although I strongly suspect that they had a strong overall profile too. Marks are a culling tool but it's the profile and interview that counts. That said, interviews create opportunities and you may need to get at least a H2A to get your foot in the door for interviews at the major firms for vacational and graduate positions.

I hope that helps!
David

1000words

HSC
Hi everyone,

Seeing as I believe everyone has put in their preferences for university, I will have a break from visiting the BOS law forums to answer questions.

I have subscribed (to receive email notification) to the 'Answers in Law' thread in the University General -> Law forum so please feel free to post a question there and I will be happy to answer any queries for you.

Alternatively, feel free to email me (via http://1000words.net) if you have any questions!

I hope that I have helped in some way and wish you the best of luck in the future!

Regards,
David

cranberries

show Pony
HSC
N/A
Hi David!

Sorry for this delayed thanks, but thanks for your answers, it really helped! I've put business/law at UTS first, and fingers crossed it's all it's cracked up to be! :)

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
This is chiming in extremely late i know, but the basic question is: do employers for law really care what combined degree you do? I mean, if you want to follow the law side and are not concerned with the other degree, will your other degree affect your chances of success post-uni on the law side?
Thanks.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
011 said:
This is chiming in extremely late i know, but the basic question is: do employers for law really care what combined degree you do? I mean, if you want to follow the law side and are not concerned with the other degree, will your other degree affect your chances of success post-uni on the law side?
Thanks.
If you want to practice law, the law component is obviously the most important. If you want to be part of a commercial organization as a legal consultant or some such semi-legal role then commerce will be a boon. You can press your advantages whichever way. Doing psych in a sci/law degree will show employers you are educated in human behaviour, always a good thing. Studying philosophy makes you a good critical thinker, able to argue better. Studying international relations would be useful for multi-national law firms or businesses. Majoring in computer science might allow you to be an expert in IT or Intellectual Property law. It all depends on where you go and what you want to do.

1000words

HSC
011 said:
Thanks.
Hi 011,

Sure, I agree with MoonlightSonata that the law component is the most important aspect if you want to practice law but I believe employers do place significant weight on the combined degree that you do at the recruitment stage as it reflects on your profile. Generally, the profile of the applicant that fits closest to the profile of the employer, the better. A common example is commerce/law for a commercial law firm. However, if you want to pursue commercial law but your background is heavily towards international human rights with little commercial work, significant achievements are going to provide less weight.

In any case, it's not the end of the story. It remains up to you to convince a potential employer that your combined degree will be beneficial/advantageous to them. In other words, the examples that Moonlight Sonata has provided are for you to show to your potential employer rather something that is necessarily read with great weight by them - think of it like presumptions being made through your profile and the burden of rebutting them resting with you. I believe this applies not only to your degree, but also the rest of your profile (i.e. extra curricular activities).

I hope that helps! and best of luck.

David

1000words

HSC
For a limited time....

I'm back :)

although I'll fade away again in a week or two when I turn into a pumpkin...

or a frog? I can't remember.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)