Answer template (1 Viewer)

Run hard@thehsc

HSC
I have tried answering this "assess" question - I was just wondering whether there are any other answer templates for questions like this?
1644728966832.png

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
There was no document containing sample answers made for the 2004 Physics HSC exam (as students would expect nowadays). However, the Board of Studies (now NESA) did release notes from the Marking Centre targeting this paper. The following was mentioned regarding Question 18:

The better responses succinctly identified the two clear errors in the statement and used the centripetal force equation to support their judgement. Many candidates incorrectly interpreted the statement as being correct and therefore had difficulty as they tried to justify its elements.
This provides guidance regarding the correct information that responses to this question should include. Below is an example:

This statement is incorrect and demonstrates little or no real understanding of the forces involved in a car negotiating a circular path. There is a net force that acts horizontally towards the centre of the circular path, i.e. a centripetal force, which is given by the following equation:

The force from the tyres is not balancing the centripetal force. It is providing the required centripetal force of 2813 N horizontally to allow the car to negotiate the curve. Thus, a correct statement would be "the friction between the tyres and the road is providing a constant net centripetal force of 2810 N (horizontally to the centre of the circle), enabling the car to travel around the roundabout as described".

I hope this helps! :D

ezOolong

HSC
Here is a complete scaffold I shared to all my senior science students. I hope this is helpful. Answering long response questions seems like an English-y thing to do, but an answering template can serve very well as the "formula". Before you answer "assess" questions, always outline the key parts in the question to remind yourself what you need to answer. After that, look at the marks and think to yourself, if you were the marker, what would be the key things to look for in the response.

You can know a bit more about the ALARM scaffold in the link below (the "click here for more" link)

ALARM Scaffold
  • Name and define: name key parts in the question and give details
  • Describe: give more details
  • Explain: importance, or link between parts in the question
  • Analyse: impact
  • Critically analyse: positive and negative
  • Evaluate: make a judgment
  • ALARM Scaffold (full) (not sure if this notion link works)

Explain
  • Examples:
    • Explain why
    • Explain how
  • CEO Framework:
    • Cause — refer to laws
    • Effect — link the key aspects in the Q: "Therefore,..."
    • Outcome: "Hence, .... (phenomenon)"

Compare: (contrast is difference ONLY)
  • specific, relevant, comparative
  • Compare qualitatively...
  • Compare quantitatively...
  • Table of comparison:
    • Each row — a feature for comparison
    • Each column — a comparative account
    • Then can maybe put answers into a paragraph
Assess
  • Examples
    • accuracy (of a statement)
    • impact (of a physics concept)
  • IDEA Framework
    • Info — Identify key parts for assessment
    • Decision — Decide the accuracy of each part
    • Evidence — Evidence for each decision; (1) relate to Laws, (2) Weigh the pros and cons
    • Assess — informed judgement (accurate, partially accurate, or inaccurate)
Discuss
  • Identify issues
  • Provide points for and/or against

Justify
  • Must have a justification statement as the conclusion

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)