another volumes question (1 Viewer)

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
My teacher used slicing method for example by subtraction of the cylinder "hole", and calculating the sphere volume with the poles "chipped off".. if you get what I mean.

I forgot, but I tried to use shell method. I forgot if it worked or not. Why don't you try it?

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
hey, this question is under the slicing disks and washers section. we still not meant to know cylindrical shells yet....but anyway i tried it but got it wrong!!!! i atleast wanna know what answer you got...:(

wogboy

Terminator
HSC
Firstly draw up a nice big diagram of the sphere, with a cylindric hole bored thru it (don't be too artistic with the 3D toning & stuff, this just wastes time and can confuse you more). If you can visualise it in your mind, that's good enough.

Split this huge volume into smaller pieces. You have a sphere, minus a hole in the shape of a cylinder, minus two caps at each end of the hole.

First find the volume of the entire sphere including the hole, which is V = (4/3)*pi*R^3 (note the capital V)

Then find the volume of the cylindrical hole. To do this you have to find out where the bored hole starts & ends. You know the sphere has radius R, so the equation of the circle, which represents the sphere is: x^2 + y^2 = R^2
Also the cylindric hole has radius r, which means at y=r, the hole ends.

x^2 + r^2 = R^2
x = sqrt(R^2 - r^2) <-- This is where the cylindric hole ends. (ignore the -ve value for now, which is the beginning of the hole)

x = sqrt(R^2 - r^2)
so the volume of the cylinder is (note the lower case v):
v = pi*(r^2)*h
= 2*pi*(r^2)*sqrt(R^2 - r^2)

Now for the hardest part, to find the volumes of the caps. Let the volume of each cap be C. The cross section of volume C (the cap) is circular, and it's bounded by the large sphere, so you can find it's volume by slicing:

r = y
x^2 + y^2 = R^2
hence r^2 = R^2 - x^2

so dC = pi*(r^2)*dx
dC = pi*(R^2 - x^2)*dx
dC/dx = pi*(R^2 - x^2)

to find C, integrate with the limits sqrt(R^2 - r^2) to R (where the cap starts & ends)

C = pi * I{sqrt(R^2 - r^2) --> R} R^2 - x^2
= pi * (- (R^3)/3 + (Rr)^2 + {(R^2 - r^2)^(3/2)}/3)

Now the volume (U) of the final product (answer) is:

U = V - v - 2C
= pi * [({4R^3}/3 - 2*pi*(r^2)*sqrt(R^2 - r^2) + 2*((R^3)/3 - (Rr)^2 - {(R^2 - r^2)^(3/2)}/3)]

Now you have U in terms of R & r (that horrible mess up there :eek: )

Sub in R=8, r=2 to get the answer for i), and sub r = R/2 to get the answer for ii) (most probably in terms of R)

To make things easier, maybe you can sub R & r to find V, v, and C and then find U.

Affinity

HSC
theres are better ways to do this:

The volume is just rotating the area bounded by
y=sqrt(R^2 -x^2)
y=r

about the x axis.

you can either do this by method of cylindrical shells or annular slices. some necessary working are omitted in the following.

shells:

dV = 2*Pi*(2*sqrt(R^2 -y^2))*y dy

V = integral {r->R} 2*Pi*(2*sqrt(R^2 -y^2))*y dy

V = [-(4Pi)*(1/3)(R^2-y^2)^(3/2)] (R, r)

V = [(4Pi/3)(R^2 -r^2)^(3/2)]

annular slices:

the x values for intersections are:

a=-sqrt(R^2 -r^2) and b=sqrt(R^2 - r^2)

dV = Pi*(y^2 - r^2) dx

V = Integral {a->b} Pi*(y^2 - r^2) dx

V = Integral {a->b} Pi*(R^2- x^2 - r^2) dx

V = 2* Integral {0->b} Pi*(R^2- x^2 - r^2) dx

V = 2*Pi*(xR^2- (1/3)x^3 - xr^2) [0,b]

V = 2Pi*(sqrt(R^2 - r^2) *(R^2 -r^2) -(1/3)(R^2 - r^2)^(3/2))

V = (4Pi/3)*(R^2 - r^2)(3/2)

by the way, it has been assumed that the hole and the sphere share the same center in the textbooks and all solutions posted. as a challenge, try the same question but with the hole off center.

Affinity

HSC
try it if you have time, I will post the solution when I figure it out :p (I haven't tried it myself yet)

Affinity

HSC
should be do-able with slices
at the ends, the slices are not annular, but 'cresent' shaped so might mess things up a little.

Last edited:

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by Affinity
should be do-able with slices
at the ends, the slices are not annular, but 'cresent' shaped so might mess things up a little.
hey does these sorta questions appear in the exam????? if so hurry up with the solutions!:D otherwise.....take your time coz i can't seem to do it.:mad1:

Affinity

HSC
Oh.. they wouldn't be that hard in the exams since this will involve many calculations, but you should be able to do it :p.

I am in the process of figuring out what my chemistry teachers mean by their questions(their questions do not corrospond to what they want you to write) so.. I might try it after the trials

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)