Another UAI estimate(Only the 10 billionth in the forum, heh!) (1 Viewer)

Lordie

HSC
Just needing a few ideas. I've used about 5 different calculators, and they're spitting out what I want to see. However I would like to see your opinions. I'm wanting around a 93, to get into a Business degree at UTS.

Modern History - 1/16 - Average 93%
Biology - 1/58 - Average 92%
Business Studies 2/38 - Average 88%
TVET Accounting - No idea on ranking - average around 85%
Advanced English - 10/40 - Average 84%
Mathematics - 11/12(yuck.) - Average 60%

Lordie

HSC
runnable said:
Rank of school?
It's in the 400's. I don't know how reliable the whole school rank thing is - last year's year 12 seemed particularly dumb at my school, heh.

But yeah, in the 400's, which looks dreadful.

Lordie

HSC
tommykins said:
80s seem plausible.
Hmm. I was trying several calculator's, and they were spitting out more 90+ results.

I sure hope it's more than merely 80s. :/

Heh, well I've begun working my butt off for the finals, so I guess I'll have to try and ace all of these last exams, to boost me right up there. :)

Lordie

HSC
After the trial results, I've ended up 1st in Biology, 1st in Business Studies, 1st in Modern History, 8th out of 38 in Advanced English and 11th out of 15 in 2U Mathematics and still sitting on around 90% for Accoutning, however ranking is unknown.

Any other suggestions?

Heh, thanks.

Last edited:

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC
If you work hard in the HSC and get top band 5/low band 6 in everything, you have a nice chance of 93.

HSC
what pisses me off more than 'guess my uai' threads is people who actually answer these threads. seriously, OP, these individuals have no clue what they are on about.

munchiecrunchie

HSC
ChockoRepublic said:
what pisses me off more than 'guess my uai' threads is people who actually answer these threads. seriously, OP, these individuals have no clue what they are on about.
I completely agree on this. A friend of mine did a bit of an experiment on the validity of these threads - posted up her ranks and compared people's responses to uai calculators. Seriously, these people are waay off, the uai calculators are definitely more accurate, provided you're correctly estimating your hsc marks.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
munchiecrunchie said:
I completely agree on this. A friend of mine did a bit of an experiment on the validity of these threads - posted up her ranks and compared people's responses to uai calculators. Seriously, these people are waay off, the uai calculators are definitely more accurate, provided you're correctly estimating your hsc marks.
that's why you should check out my thread. I posted the ranks of my friend and getting people to take a guess at what he got. Most underestimate a considerable amount.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
that's why you should check out my thread. I posted the ranks of my friend and getting people to take a guess at what he got. Most underestimate a considerable amount.
Which would be a good thing seeing as they'd get higher than what we think.

JJmn

HSC
munchiecrunchie said:

Most of the time, it is more likely to miscalculate the HSC you put in the UAI calculators. You have people constantly putting their raw marks in and wonder aloud what is wrong.

runnable

HSC
JJmn said:
Most of the time, it is more likely to miscalculate the HSC you put in the UAI calculators. You have people constantly putting their raw marks in and wonder aloud what is wrong.
Not only that. If you do not seek advice, that means you have to moderate your own raw internal marks. The average guy probably has no idea about school ranks and moderation process. Its still more reliable to ask here. Select reliable individual's estimations, not just some random people. Best place to find out is from your teachers. Get them to estimate your mark in respective subjects, judging from your ranks and previous years' results. However a lot of teachers refuse to do this (mine included).

munchiecrunchie

HSC
JJmn said:
Which is why I said "provided you're estimating your HSC marks correctly"

I still don't think these threads are reliable uai estimates. There is no solid basis for what number people churn out, it's really a guessing game. I don't trust it, and I think it'd be foolish to be trusting them in the first place.

I agree with runnable that teachers are probably the most reliable source - they know your abilities and marks, and hence can make a more calculated and valid assessment. Not many will do it though.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
UAI calculators are NOT more accurate because UAI calculators don't deal with school ranks & marks.

runnable

HSC
munchiecrunchie said:
Which is why I said "provided you're estimating your HSC marks correctly"quote]

Yea I think JJ was making the point that people usually DO NOT estimate their HSC marks correctly.

Lordie

HSC
Basically I just like to see what people think. It's interesting to get a large amount of responses, so that I can see what others think, then compare these to a number of calculators. I also like to use them as an indication of what other marks people are getting, allowing me to identify marks from a broader environment than that of just my school.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)