another question regarding ethanol as a solvent (1 Viewer)

aimstar

HSC
I am in the middle of an open-ended investigation, where I have to use information resources to find the solubility of pure chemicals in ethanol. I understand the molecular structure of ethanol and how it is able to dissolve polar and non-polar substances, but I'm finding it really tough finding information on specific chemicals, and its solubility when added to them. Can some one please help!?
thanks
aimstar

Jumbo Cactuar

Argentous Fingers
HSC
I don't know how you'd find other than just googling "soluble in ethanol", seems like you could track a few intersting tid-bits. I'd be less worries about exact chemicals and focus more on applications and mechanisms; though a few wouldn't hurt.

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
I remembered our teacher was trying to prove ethanol's ability to dissolve both polar and non-polar substances. We first tried using spirits (~80% ethanol) but that didn't work then we used pure 100% ethanol.

aimstar

HSC
thanks Jumbo Cactuar

thanks for that, thats pretty much what I'm doin anyway, finding specific examples then discussing the applications involved. ive managed to find some pretty random examples but they will do.
thanks again

quartercast

HSC
The Handbook of Chemistry and Physics gives you solubility information on specific compounds in a variety of organic solvents, not just ethanol. I think solubility in g/L is only given for water, though.

Have a look for this book in university libraries... there is also a web edition in pdf format.

Jumbo Cactuar

Argentous Fingers
HSC
Solubility would be given as molal quantities. That is to say mass of solute for mass of solvent. SI Chem Data tabulates grams of solute per 100 grams of solvent (though figures only given for water). That would be because volumes of solvents (be it solid, liquid or gas) vary under many conditions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)