Selador

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Last edited:

Sathius005

HSC
Uni Grad
Julia Gillard is doing the right thing by Australia by introducing a Medicare levy to fund the NDIS. Even Alan Jones supports implementing a medicare levy in order to fund the NDIS.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Oh well if Alan Jones supports it then it must be a stellar idea.

May as well close the thread now.

lochnessmonsta

Booging
HSC
Uni Grad
To be honest I don't think anyone is surprised she went back on her word, its not the first time

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
At least she is putting it to an election, I give her props for that.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
To be honest I don't think anyone is surprised she went back on her word, its not the first time
So politicians have to stick with the same policies election in election out and never change them? It's a policy PROPOSAL that is going to go to an election.

Fair enough debate the policy but you can't argue that it's a breach of trust/lie/etc.

lochnessmonsta

Booging
HSC
Uni Grad
So politicians have to stick with the same policies election in election out and never change them? It's a policy PROPOSAL that is going to go to an election.

Fair enough debate the policy but you can't argue that it's a breach of trust/lie/etc.
Im not taking a dig at Gillard or the policy, Im actually laughing at the media that sensationalise it and make out like its the first time something like this has ever happened. In fact its a flood levy with a new name, whatever the name is going to be

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
So the levy will pay for less than a third of the cost per year. Where does the other 2/3rds come from?

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
So the levy will pay for less than a third of the cost per year. Where does the other 2/3rds come from?
Wait for the budget to find out (I hope it will be removing negative gearing, but I doubt it)

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
It seems to be more of a reflection of her naivety though. Why would you absolutely rule in or out something, especially given the history of backlash she's suffered for it?

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
It seems to be more of a reflection of her naivety though. Why would you absolutely rule in or out something, especially given the history of backlash she's suffered for it?
Because the media consistently demands that politicians rule things in or out, if they are ruled in (or if it isn't answered) then endless and potentially damaging speculation occurs (like on the recent super changes).

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Wait for the budget to find out (I hope it will be removing negative gearing, but I doubt it)
I doubt it will be removing that given there are 1.3 million people who own one or more negatively geared properties.

I think Abbott should support Gillard on the NDIS issue and they get it through parliament in this government. Abbott seems open to that so long as Gillard can show where the rest of the money cones from.

Because the media consistently demands that politicians rule things in or out, if they are ruled in (or if it isn't answered) then endless and potentially damaging speculation occurs (like on the recent super changes).
"there will no no carbon tax in a government I lead"; Gillard 5 days before the 2010 election.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Would you say that the backlash over her supposed lies is more damaging than the speculation?

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Would you say that the backlash over her supposed lies is more damaging than the speculation?
It's complicated. Fair play to Abbot, I think the way he has managed to demomise Julia for a broken promise has been politically brilliant (especially coming from somebody who said only believe anything he says unless its scripted). It's brilliant because its so unusual. Politicians break promises so much it's a cliche, I'm still unsure why this one has cut so deep but it has. So deep that any other broken promises are a continuation of the carbon tax more than anger at individual changes in policy.

That whole situation has created a climate in which it has been impossible for Labor to "get it's message out" and considering that's the only way for them to have any hope of wining the election I think they need to cull anything that districts them from the message, including such speculation. But I confess reading news article comments these days make me realize that people just aren't listening, the lie about the lie has become truth.

Last edited:

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
It's complicated. Fair play to Abbot, I think the way he has managed to demomise Julia for a broken promise has been politically brilliant (especially coming from somebody who said Sony believe anything he says unless its scripted). It's brilliant because its so unusual. Politicians break promises so much it's a cliche, I'm still unsure why this one has cut so deep but it has. So deep that any other broken promises are a continuation of the carbon tax more than anger at individual changes in policy.
I'd say because woman tbh

Okashi

HSC
It's Politicians break promises so much it's a cliche, I'm still unsure why this one has cut so deep but it has. So deep that any other broken promises are a continuation of the carbon tax more than anger at individual changes in policy.

Maybe you could give us some examples of where a promise not to introduce a tax has been so blatantly broken. And don't bother to mention the GST , you lost that argument before you started.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Maybe you could give us some examples of where a promise not to introduce a tax has been so blatantly broken. And don't bother to mention the GST , you lost that argument before you started.
"Read my lips: no new taxes"

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)