Another Mechanics Query (1 Viewer)

bleakarcher

HSC
i think we are on the same side here lol. i havent realised

bleakarcher

HSC
i dont think u have the idea actually. u seem to think that say when a particle is dropped from a height h and reaches a distance h units from the origin its velocity is 0.
this is wrong. in resisted motion, it is referred to as final velocity. Final velocity is the velocity of the particle during the instanteous point in time it hits the ground ie the velocity of the particle just b4 it strikes 0.

khfreakau

HSC
wrong, u take the starting position as the origin alwayz
lol no.

and hscishard - my teacher said this of mechanics: "the forces bit is 4u - once you get to the actual motion bits and stuff, most mechanics questions become hard 3u level questions"

So yes, I can see why you would think it can be done by 3u methods. Also, it annoys me how in many questions it's never specified whether the resistance is an acceleration or a force. Even them, there's a question in patel which says it's a force when it's actually an acceleration >_>

bleakarcher

HSC
when is it you dont? i alwayz do and get the desired result, unless it is specified

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
lol no.

and hscishard - my teacher said this of mechanics: "the forces bit is 4u - once you get to the actual motion bits and stuff, most mechanics questions become hard 3u level questions"

So yes, I can see why you would think it can be done by 3u methods. Also, it annoys me how in many questions it's never specified whether the resistance is an acceleration or a force. Even them, there's a question in patel which says it's a force when it's actually an acceleration >_>
In maths, certain terms have assumed a well-established meaning; e.g. in a typical algebra question, "find x" does not mean you go round with a magnifying glass looking for the letter "x". Similarly "resistance" has a well-known meaning. It is, like friction, an opposing force - this has the effect of reducing the prevailing force being resisted, thereby slowing it down. This resisting force equivalently contributes a negative acceleration (deceleration) to the object. But no - resistance is a force - this force contributes a negative acceleration. So Patel is correct.

Last edited:

bleakarcher

HSC
ahh ok.
i havent learnt much about using the properties of even and odd functions in integrate

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
If you want a more formalised proof:

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Over the interval (1,-1) sin-1 x is an odd function while 1 + x2 is an even function. Therefore, their quotient:

is an odd function.

Last edited:

failwhale

HSC
yeah u do when v=0 x=0 because it hasn't fallen height, h, as of yet.

hscishard

HSC
i dont think u have the idea actually. u seem to think that say when a particle is dropped from a height h and reaches a distance h units from the origin its velocity is 0.
this is wrong. in resisted motion, it is referred to as final velocity. Final velocity is the velocity of the particle during the instanteous point in time it hits the ground ie the velocity of the particle just b4 it strikes 0.
You're correct, but I never said that it is 0. I said it wouldn't be 0. It's just that arj1 saying when x=h, v=0 confused me a bit

Forces aye... boy mechanics is going to be fun!

Hermes1

Banned
HSC
You're correct, but I never said that it is 0. I said it wouldn't be 0. It's just that arj1 saying when x=h, v=0 confused me a bit

Forces aye... boy mechanics is going to be fun!
lol i cant believe this thread is still going. and hscishard trust me mechanics is the best topic in 4 unit by far.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)