• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

another laptop thread :P (1 Viewer)

hallelujah.

HSC
Sorry for posting another thread about laptops but i was wondering if anyone could please give me some advice.
I want it for uni 2009, so i know new models will be out before then but i just want an idea of whats good and whats bad.

I really need the laptop to store music for my 8gb ipod, for typing etc, watching dvds and most importantly i want to do a fair bit of work whilst travelling on the train (about 50 mins) so i need a fairly long battery life.

Oh and no macs please.

Any suggestions? Price range is less than $1500

Please and thankyou
:)

sunny

meh.
HSC
Have the brands mentioned in the other laptop threads sparked your interest?

Any modern laptop would have at least 2 to 3 hours of battery life so 50 minutes is nothing in comparison.

hallelujah.

HSC
wow 2-3 hours! my old one has 45 minutes! yeh my main concern was about battery life, so thanks for clearing that up. I'll keep looking around at brands and things but im so relieved thats the 'norm' for laptops now! thanks!

sunny

meh.
HSC
If your old laptop was only lasting that long then its probably because the battery was getting old. Batteries are consumables and they can't hold as much charge when they get older.

I guess depending on how old your laptop is (or whether you really want a new laptop!) you might be able to get away with just getting a new battery for your old laptop to get back extra battery life.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Well I have a 6 yr old dell and it's battery lasts for 2-3 hours when it's unplugged from the power socket. Anyway, if storing music and long battery life is your main concern, just get a cheap brand like Dell or something.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)