I'm trying to enrol, and I want to do the following courses:

Cores:

ACCT1501- Accounting and Financial Management 1A

ECON1101- Microeconomics 1

ECON1202- Quantitative Methods A

Electives:

MATH1151- Mathematics for Actuarial Studies and Finance 1A

FINS1612- Capital Markets and Institutions

The problem is with the second of the electives, FINS1612. I set up my timetable with all the courses then click "Enroll in All Courses." It then enrolled in the first 4 courses, but left FINS1612 with the message "Error:Student's maximum term load exceeded."

As far as I know I haven't exceeded my maximum load, I rang the university and the guy there said I enrolled in the cores, then chose a course from each of the two majors I want to do (Actuarial studies and accounting).

Any help would be greatly appreciated, does anyone know what I am doing wrong? :S

sunny

meh.
HSC
In one session, the full load for a full time student is 24uoc. This is usually four 6uoc subjects.

What you are trying to do is enrol in five 6uoc subjects. That is 30uoc.

Check your program outline to see that whether you are meant to have one elective in each session (you haven't said what your program is) rather than both in the same session.

BillyMak

Silent majority
HSC
My program is B Commerce, I plan on doing a double major (Actuarial and accounting). I told the guy at the uni this when I rang him up and he said I should choose a course from each major to go with my cores.... I must be interpreting something wrong?

sunny

meh.
HSC
BillyMak said:
My program is B Commerce, I plan on doing a double major (Actuarial and accounting). I told the guy at the uni this when I rang him up and he said I should choose a course from each major to go with my cores.... I must be interpreting something wrong?
I am not a FCE student, so this is only coming from my general understand of UNSW.

You have these core subjects in first year:
ACCT1501 Accounting and Financial Management 1A
ACCT1511 Accounting and Financial Management 1B
ECON1101 Microeconomics 1
ECON1102 Macroeconomics 1
ECON1202 Quantitative Methods A
ECON1203 Quantitative Methods B
Its obvious which are session one and session two subjects. Keep in mind each subject is 6uoc, and your session limit is 24uoc. As you've already found out you can do 3 of the core subjects in session one. That leaves room for one elective.

The same repeats in session two, you do the remaining 3 core subjects, plus your second elective. Then you have completed your 48uoc for first year.

Another FCE student might be able to confirm this.

BillyMak

Silent majority
HSC
That definately makes a lot of sense, but the electives also take two sessions to complete (i.e. Mathematics for Actuarial Studies and Finance 1A, and there is also a Mathematics for Actuarial Studies and Finance 1B)

scut

The Journeyman
HSC
The standard load is 24 credit points a semester, so thats 4 courses a semester. You've definately exceeded the maximum load by choosing 5 courses.

BillyMak said:
As far as I know I haven't exceeded my maximum load, I rang the university and the guy there said I enrolled in the cores, then chose a course from each of the two majors I want to do (Actuarial studies and accounting).

Any help would be greatly appreciated, does anyone know what I am doing wrong? :S
Yeh I think you've interpreted him wrong. When he says you a choose a course from each of your majors along with the core courses, he is referring to the whole year rather than an individual session.
When you do the six core courses, that leaves you 2 courses left for the year. So that means you do one course for actuarial studies and one for accounting.

BillyMak

Silent majority
HSC
So do you do the second parts of the electives in your second year?

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
This is how it works

In first year, assuming you do a full load (4 subjects a semester), the folowing subjects need to be completed as cores:

Semester One:
Accounting 1A
Quant Methods A (or Math equivalent for Actuary students)
Microeconomics

Semester Two:
Accounting 1B
Quant Methods B (or Math equivalent for Actuary students)
Macroeconomics

You then have the option of choosing a fourth subject as an option for EACH semester (this is usually from the stream you intend to major in). For example, for Accounting and Finance major, Legal Environment of Commerce and Capital Markets and Institutions are fairly popular options.

So enrolling is not that hard at all, you only really CHOOSE one subject. The other three are cores (which means that they are compulsory).

Hope that clears things up.

Last edited:

BillyMak

Silent majority
HSC
Yeah, I thought that's how it was, and yes it does clear things up :)

But what if you want to do two majors, that require different subjects, how would you go about enrolling?

sunny

meh.
HSC
You would have to do them in different sessions.

schmeichung

HSC
Billy we are on the same boat :D
but I am wondering why you would major both actuarial studies & accounting?
I will do major actuarial studies & finance

Answer you question:
You have to do each elective in different semester
eg:
SEM1
ACCT1501(core),ECON1101(core),MATH1151(exempt core ECON1202),FINS1612(elective)
SEM2
ACCT1511(core),ECON1102(core),MATH1251(exempt core ECON1203),ACTL1001(elective)

ps. this is my enrolled courses :p

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
schmeichung said:
Billy we are on the same boat :D
but I am wondering why you would major both actuarial studies & accounting?
I will do major actuarial studies & finance

Answer you question:
You have to do each elective in different semester
eg:
SEM1
ACCT1501(core),ECON1101(core),MATH1151(exempt core ECON1202),FINS1612(elective)
SEM2
ACCT1511(core),ECON1102(core),MATH1251(exempt core ECON1203),ACTL1001(elective)

ps. this is my enrolled courses :p

That combination is ideal for double majors Actuary/Finance or Actuary/Accounting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)