ANNUITIES Question... (1 Viewer)

cxlxoxk

HSC
If they ask about annuities, will they say:

"Use the formula, [insert one of the annuities formulas] to solve the following question."
Cos if not, i'm gonna be screwed if an annuities question comes up in the exam. I dunno what formula to use and when, and can't differentiate between one annuities question from another, in terms of wording. Can someone help me?

melmont13

HSC
Look at it this way- if they ask you what the value is at the end of the entire period- it's future value. If they ask you how much each installment was, it's current value. I think. I usually look at the statistics given and gauge my answer from there.

PC

HSC
N/A
In most cases:
* If it's an investment you'll use Future Value to find A.
* If it's a loan that you need to repay you'll use the big present value formula to find M, the monthly payment. The amount borrowed is N, the present value.

I reckon this will work about 80% of the time.

NEVAGIVEUP

HSC
Both the future value and present value formulae are provided in the formulae sheet, but just remember if the question says:

1. 'future value' or value in so and so years; you use the annuity formula; remember that annuities are consistent contributions
2. 'lump sum' or something that alludes to the fact that a single amount is deposited; compound interest
3. 'present value' or the amount required to be deposited; present value formula

They will not provide the formula in the question

Goodluck!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)