Anki help (1 Viewer)

hellohowslife

HSC
Hello, I have a few questions about using Anki for the HSC
1. for subjects like business, legal, and eco, should I just add simple stuff like definitions only? Or would it also be effective to try to memorise essay paragraphs as well (and if so, would it be good for English)
2. Since there's 2 months until the HSC, how long should I be spending on ANKI everyday (i.e. how do I balance it with doing past papers)
Also, does anyone have any general tips for anki
Ty!

Last edited:

DheerChoudhury

HSC
Good questions...commenting so I can find an answer too lol
As for your first question, why limit yourself to one or the other?

HSC
Don't really recommend starting Anki for the HSC now, pretty late to do that. Spaced repetition only really works well if you do it over a longer period of time. Its a pretty big time sink to add cards, your efforts are probably best focused elsewhere imo

dasfas

HSC
Literally just finished a tutoring session where I went over exactly this with my tutee.

I will tell you the same thing I told him.

It's too late - you needed to have been doing anki since day 1 basically. You will end up with a ridiculous amount of reviews if you convert your notes to anki rn. Plus it would take too much time, it would be far better to spend it on past papers.

The only thing I would recommend using anki for rn would be english quotes and random facts from your other subjects eg. dates.

I spend 1-2 hours on Anki every single day. I wouldn't go above 2hrs, especially if you have access to a wealth of past papers.

SweatyAsian#1

HSC
Hello, I have a few questions about using Anki for the HSC
1. for subjects like business, legal, and eco, should I just add simple stuff like definitions only? Or would it also be effective to try to memorise essay paragraphs as well (and if so, would it be good for English)
2. Since there's 2 months until the HSC, how long should I be spending on ANKI everyday (i.e. how do I balance it with doing past papers)
Also, does anyone have any general tips for anki
Ty!
Although I'm in Year 11, don't let that underestimate the advice I'm going to give because, ngl, I've probably watched more Ali Abdaal, Kharma Medic, Med School Insiders, etc. videos than you all lol.
Flashcards are definitely one of the best ways to "cram" information, especially for ROTE subjects like Business Studies and maybe some parts of Economics. I do both but i use brainscape for economics as its a long-term process which requires spaced repetition, if you plan to use flashcards.
If you still want to try out flashcards for those 3 subjects, use quizlet as that is the "best" cramming flashcard app as it is random, easy and efficient, and has a clean interface, making them 10-20% more enjoyable to study than anki.

Also, don't fall into the trap of watching YT videos on how to best use anki cards, it should be your personal preference.
For economics, Keep some questions broad so that its most applicative/understanding-based learning instead of just being memorisation. What i do is have my flashcards on my phone or laptop, get a book, and mindmap/spider map each question and answer it like a test question.
If you got time, please read my bottom question please :D

SweatyAsian#1

HSC
Does Business Studies get really boring / 'dry' in HSC content? In contrast to Economics, which one is more boring in your opinion?

SweatyAsian#1

HSC
Literally just finished a tutoring session where I went over exactly this with my tutee.

I will tell you the same thing I told him.

It's too late - you needed to have been doing anki since day 1 basically. You will end up with a ridiculous amount of reviews if you convert your notes to anki rn. Plus it would take too much time, it would be far better to spend it on past papers.

The only thing I would recommend using anki for rn would be english quotes and random facts from your other subjects eg. dates.

I spend 1-2 hours on Anki every single day. I wouldn't go above 2hrs, especially if you have access to a wealth of past papers.
Master GMTROAD!!! LONG TIME NO SEE!
Hope you've been good. I've gone through a lot, a lot and I would love to have your opinion on my CRISIS rn if that's fine.

For year 12, I'm stuck between:
1) Drop Business Studies, go for 4U maths and maybe drop Chemistry after term 1 if it becomes too 'specific' for chemistry-related courses which don't relate to Mechanical engineering. (P.S. Does Chemistry become like super hard after prelim?)
OR
2) Drop Business studies, keep 3U maths, keep chemistry.

Which one would you rather go with if you found 3U difficult on a rating of 6.5/10 and are interested in a physics/engineering based uni course?
Sorry if this is out of the blue but I've literally been asking everyone for advice lol.

dasfas

HSC
Master GMTROAD!!! LONG TIME NO SEE!
Hope you've been good. I've gone through a lot, a lot and I would love to have your opinion on my CRISIS rn if that's fine.

For year 12, I'm stuck between:
1) Drop Business Studies, go for 4U maths and maybe drop Chemistry after term 1 if it becomes too 'specific' for chemistry-related courses which don't relate to Mechanical engineering. (P.S. Does Chemistry become like super hard after prelim?)
OR
2) Drop Business studies, keep 3U maths, keep chemistry.

Which one would you rather go with if you found 3U difficult on a rating of 6.5/10 and are interested in a physics/engineering based uni course?
Sorry if this is out of the blue but I've literally been asking everyone for advice lol.
4U has mechanics. Mechanical engineering has, you guessed it, mechanics. So that's a +1 for 4U

Chemistry is slightly related to mech eng as it relates to materials engineering (which you'll probably need to take a course or two in).

However, it's not always the best idea to only ever focus on subjects that will be immediately relevant later. If that was the case, degrees such as med sci, physiology + anatomy would be the best for premed. But I would argue that they are the worse and that anything else, such as physics, arts, humanities, engineering, would be far better, as it gives you a new perspective to bring to the table when you do study med. Granted HSC content is very surface level, but perhaps business studies could be good for that very reason.

Ultimately, you should be playing to your strengths. Are you good at maths? Do you enjoy it? What about chemistry? What about business studies?

Ranking 3U as 6.5/10, I'd say chem was like a 3. I found 3U maths harder than chem. However, a lot of people doing 4U found chem harder than maths, so it's not a perfect metric.

SweatyAsian#1

HSC
4U has mechanics. Mechanical engineering has, you guessed it, mechanics. So that's a +1 for 4U

Chemistry is slightly related to mech eng as it relates to materials engineering (which you'll probably need to take a course or two in).

However, it's not always the best idea to only ever focus on subjects that will be immediately relevant later. If that was the case, degrees such as med sci, physiology + anatomy would be the best for premed. But I would argue that they are the worse and that anything else, such as physics, arts, humanities, engineering, would be far better, as it gives you a new perspective to bring to the table when you do study med. Granted HSC content is very surface level, but perhaps business studies could be good for that very reason.

Ultimately, you should be playing to your strengths. Are you good at maths? Do you enjoy it? What about chemistry? What about business studies?

Ranking 3U as 6.5/10, I'd say chem was like a 3. I found 3U maths harder than chem. However, a lot of people doing 4U found chem harder than maths, so it's not a perfect metric.
If you don't mind, ima start a private conversation on BoS so it doesn't mess up this thread lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)