Andrew Johns retires (1 Viewer)

W

wogstaa

Andrew Johns was one of the greatest players in rugby league history, its a shame to see him go out on a low :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
I've always hated the media hype with a passion. A news report this afternoon called him the best played in any football code ever. What a load of fucking bollocks.

Sure, he changed the game and the definition of the halfback, was very entertaining to watch and a great player.
But the hype just ruins it.
Sad to see him go, but maybe we can get on with the game now. Cheers to the Newcastle halfback who can now have a decent go without Johns breathing down his neck.

SyCoTiC

HSC
With the amount of media coverage you'd think he died.

So in that case, rest in peace Joey Johns.

I can't believe I'm going to need to put up with this media hype for the next couple of days (and possibly weeks). No player is bigger than the game and it should stay that way. I'm willing to bet they will be doing a national service for Joey if he ever did die. But in saying so, despite his arrogance off-field and leaving the Knights and League itself in a thick layer of fog during his Union episode, his on-field ability to perform was simply amazing and that is why I respect the man for who he is - A fantastic football and potentially one of the best there ever will be to play the game - but I can't say he is the best.

All the best to him in the future.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
He was the very best. That no one ever was :(

I still go for Newcastle :eek:

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
itll probably be on the front page tomorrow, then after that noone would really care that he's retired
haha newcastle people call it 'the worse news since the 1989 earthquake'
lol

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
SyCoTiC said:
With the amount of media coverage you'd think he died.

So in that case, rest in peace Joey Johns.

I can't believe I'm going to need to put up with this media hype for the next couple of days (and possibly weeks). No player is bigger than the game and it should stay that way. I'm willing to bet they will be doing a national service for Joey if he ever did die. But in saying so, despite his arrogance off-field and leaving the Knights and League itself in a thick layer of fog during his Union episode, his on-field ability to perform was simply amazing and that is why I respect the man for who he is - A fantastic football and potentially one of the best there ever will be to play the game - but I can't say he is the best.

All the best to him in the future.
QFMFT

SyCoTiC

HSC
Sorry I'm not that advaned in E-Language. Care to enlighten me? :p

aussiechica7

HSC
i'm a little put out that this took up so much news coverage.

its a football player.

let's talk about what's happening in iran.

/end rant

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
first of all, he is not just 'a football player', but arguably the best ever. people talk about league and the name johns comes to your head.

secondly, brogan is a dumb shit. try and tell me a player in the club that you support which has a bigger reputation than johns.

if you guys don't understand why there is so much publicity about his retirement, than maybe you should think about what he has achieved and what he has contributed to the game you watch right now.

nsw got on their hands and knees to beg johns to come back from a broken jaw to save our bacons in 2005 origin 2. memories?

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
wuddie said:
first of all, he is not just 'a football player', but arguably the best ever. people talk about league and the name johns comes to your head.

secondly, brogan is a dumb shit. try and tell me a player in the club that you support which has a bigger reputation than johns.

if you guys don't understand why there is so much publicity about his retirement, than maybe you should think about what he has achieved and what he has contributed to the game you watch right now.

nsw got on their hands and knees to beg johns to come back from a broken jaw to save our bacons in 2005 origin 2. memories?
He was fantastic, and changed the game in many ways.

BUT all this publicity is BULLSHIT.
Global warming? Who cares! Johns retired!
More people died? Who cares! Johns retired!
You'd think the guy died or something.

SyCoTiC

HSC
Well according to the Newcastle Herald, it's the biggest news since the Newcastle Earthquake.

LOL @ That. They had 20 odd pages worth of tributes to him in the paper which is just simply absurd, they wouldn't have done that for the Earthquake itself.

Johns was a great player but I think he was past his due-by date 2 or 3 odd seasons ago when he become a walking time bomb full of injuries. He obviously played on for the passion of the game but like I said, a player should not be bigger than the game itself even if his name is Andrew Johns and off the field he has shown the lack of respect for many of those who have supported him, namely the Rugby Union saga and then making random appearances for the NSW Blues. Sadly Newcastle has become Johns' bitch to be blunt and do not dare second-guess his decisions and this is justified when he went off to play a stint in the English Super League.

The publicity is over the top and the credibility of calling him the greatest of both codes which many of the media have referred to him as is just utter bullshit. The man has never played the other code let alone the stars who also feature in the game of Rugby League. No other player, as big as they were, received this much publicity even if it was due to forced retirement but Johns has got this support due to his off-field antics and the ass-licking crew of Channel 9 who do not fail to mention his greatness. Calling him for an immortal? I don't think so yet! I'd much rather see Meninga inducted first before Johns. Everyone knows how great he was but that was a long long time ago and he has turned into a circus act as of late and I believe he should've retired after his Origin stint that year, maybe then he would've deservedly got what the media is conjuring up right now.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Johns was magnificent player - not only in his ability as five-eight, captain but the fact that he handled himself extremely on and off the field. Considering league - with the like Gower, Mason, and fingering asshole (forget his name, cant belive I forget his name).

Johns is definetly an ideal model for youngsters, he played to win and at the end ensured that he had fun. He displayed loyalty, by playing with only the knights and not switching codes.

He ensure the he entertained the fans. And he showed that he was a great sportsman. You can be bloody good player in terms of skills, but to have possess the right personality, leadership and combine that with his abilities is not an easy task.

He made the right decision, he wasnt stupid or anything like that.

Now, his league is over, get him back on 20/20 now!.

HSC
I don't agree that he was a good role model though.

Especially when you remember the incident where he called the sideline ref a "f*cking c*nt", and when, after the knights lost to the eels last year and he beat JT's record, when he refused to go out to accept the match ball.

SyCoTiC

HSC
I just find that whenever he has the chance on Channel 9 to talk, he talks plenty about himself and of course he has shown he can be a god damn sook on the field as well. See what happens when emotions get over Joey?

Joey gets angry. Very very angry. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)