And so I turned on my new PC... PART II (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Since the other one closed down and I wasn't finished yet here goes:

download gparted to a usb stick or cd/dvd

wipe the hdd

pirate windows 7 so u don't have to go through the winxp --> win7 thing
I used Gparted. It comes with an error, that it loses the DVD drive, and says please specify what drive the data from the disc is located :/ bit weird, since everything loads from that disc already.

HSC
Uni Grad
i've never used gparted on a cd/dvd so idk really

i've always done it from a USB flash drive

try that instead, you'll need to do this:

Windows Method A: Tuxboot

Download Tuxboot on your MS Windows computer.
From Windows, run the Tuxboot program and follow the instructions in the GUI to install GParted Live on your USB flash drive.
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/liveusb.php

+you'll need the gparted ISO

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
i've never used gparted on a cd/dvd so idk really

i've always done it from a USB flash drive

try that instead, you'll need to do this:

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/liveusb.php

+you'll need the gparted ISO
Okay will give it a shot.

Wait, you know how it says run makeboot.bat does that mean I need to have win 7 set up on my desktop?

I was reading this thread and actually made an account to try and help this poor bloke through the retardedness going on here.

I understand your computer now boots and whatnot, but you're having trouble with Windows activation, because you bought an Upgrade edition for a clean install. This is no big deal. Simply reboot the computer with the Windows DVD in, and boot off the DVD. When it asks you to choose between an Upgrade and Fresh install, choose upgrade (this WON'T wipe anything). Simply follow the prompts, enter your product key when prompted, and wham - you have a legitimate, activated clean install of Windows 7 using an Upgrade copy.

This "trick" was left in by Microsoft to enable people to go from Windows XP to Windows 7, where XP users have rights to purchase an upgrade, but Windows 7 doesn't do in-place upgrades from XP.
wait, so you're saying I can reinstall windows 7 a second time with a legit "upgrade copy". The reason why I have an upgrade copy, was because I bought it about 2 years ago for my family PCs, (it's a 3 in 1 licence pack). My XP is a full version. But if you're saying I can reinstall win 7 and choose upgrade instead of custom install, I'll do that. I currently forced crashed my current win 7 installation (made another partition the active one, thus it now boots from an empty partition - I did this in hope of installing XP on an empty partition, but no luck. So it's going to need the win 7 disc any ways for repair, unless i can wipe the drive using gparted or something similar.

EDIT: oh shit, I see what you mean now win 7 doesn't see XP as an upgradeable option cause it's old and uses a different format?

yepp, XP doesn't install any ways don't think my BIOS lets me, it tries to read the disc but then it just spits it out syaing it can't read it, just when it's about to install.

Last edited:

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
using Active@ KillDisk is the best HardDisk-Wiping-Tool.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
no

on that page there are 4 different methods

just use method A, download tuxboot
I was using B sorry. nvm I exited it, I have win 7 installed. Now I'm just thinking whether I should wait for my new SSD and perform an upgrade installation on the SSD using my previous install from my HDD. Is this possible? Can you choose a new file location to install windows? or it just overwrites the existing windows installation on my HDD. -.- (thinking its the last option). May as well just wait for my SSD, save me doing all this shit again.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Whoop whoop!!, My SSD apparently wasn't broken :D I reconnected it into a SATA 3 port today and it worked :) (although it is SATA 2 compatible), maybe it was a bit loose or something when I did it the other day. Thank God it's not broken :D

Last edited:

cheezcake

Callipygian Member
HSC
lol, nice but a bit strange, i would have thought the first thing to do in checking if the SSD was actually busted was reconnect to make sure you connected it properly but w/e haha

My freaking mobo and sound card got delayed, gonna have to wait a couple more days before i can begin my build :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)