Ancient or Modern? :P

• Ancient History

Votes: 28 53.8%
  • Modern History

Votes: 24 46.2%

• Total voters

Jess007

HSC
well i do both. i like modern better since i can actually justify all the info with examples. anceitn is hard cause its got weird names ( different) names tht i find it hard to remember. thats just me. both are good thouh.

tj08

HSC
ancient history ftw! its so much more interesting.. but maybe thats because of the teacher im not sure... i find acnient history a lot easier to get rhough in terms of course content and assessments. but it also depends on how you learn.... i learn better just by memorising stuff which is how my ancient history class is taught... whereas in modern history its about more than memorisation... so yep really depends... but ancient was more fun for me!

gavvsy

HSC
i would say modern. Because its straight to the point and the historical issues and debates are more logical. Whereas, ancient is more contested and it can be confusing at times. But in saying this I think both histories are great and interesting

what a dilemma!

HSC
I'd say Ancient. But it depends. If you're interested in politics and wars, Modern is for you. Ancient is more about interpreting evidence, because there's almost never a certainty in ancient history.

Matt1120

Basically a History Nerd
HSC
My Ancient Class has the unfortunate habit of falling asleep. It depends on which topics you choose. We did really good ancients until we got to Israel which is boring. Modern is really good but i find its more political theory than dates.

themadness

HSC
I really enjoyed Modern History, however that may have been due to having an excellent teacher.

I never studied Ancient History. However, I am still going to state in my humble opinion that Modern History is better. This is just to counter all the Modern History bashing evident in this thread.

bfrhcp

HSC
do ancient...its bloody awesome. Modern is dry as hell in year 11 as well. Ancient relies a lot on your abilityto weigh up evidence whilst modern is your ability to weigh up perspectives (in very basic terms)

ancient is more fact/evidence based...modern is more your ability to bs

what a dilemma!

HSC
bfrhcp said:
do ancient...its bloody awesome. Modern is dry as hell in year 11 as well. Ancient relies a lot on your abilityto weigh up evidence whilst modern is your ability to weigh up perspectives (in very basic terms)

:rofl:

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
-may-cat- said:
lol, wouldnt it be nice to just become a scholar? im looking at a B of Ancient History at Maquarie Uni, cant wait to start
Hahaha, it'd effing rock
XD

Thats awesome. I would love to.

zdzislaw

Jack, much
HSC
bfrhcp said:

I disagree.
There are no 'facts' in ancient history - we weren't there and much of the evidence available is heresay. That's not to say the evidence isn't releveant though.

Modern, on the other hand has solid evidence - photographs, eye witness accounts, etc, and is more than just 'weighing up perspectives'. It involves formulating your own perspective first then discussing other perspectives in relation to your own thesis.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
ok, no more of this modern/ancient hate anymore guys, they are both equally great :)

though im more inclined towards ancient :p

Fortify

♪웨딩드레스
HSC
Ancient History :D

I never like Modern History.

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
i haven't chosen either as subjects for next year, but ancient would be the one i'd choose. world wars and conflicts really bore me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)