Ancient history vs Economics (1 Viewer)

zinc

HSC
I have to choose subjects very very soon. I have mostly made up my mind to do
3 maths
3 english
2 chemistry
2 biology

but then I don't know whether to do economics or ancient history. The problem is I haven't done ancient history since yr 7 and never done economics. I'm not very good at/ dont like essays much- at least i don't like vauge essays where you don't really know what your talking about. People I've talked to have said that if I do economics my subjects would be a bit "intense". Would they be?

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
From what i heard, ancient and economics both require essay writing. Economics have the extented response part. I have the problem choosing between SDD, legal or economics, have to pick 2 out of the 3.

Mark576

Feel good ...
HSC
I'm experiencing a similar dilemma involving Economics and Ancient History:
I have already decided (at least at this point of time :)) on Ext.1 Maths, Chemistry, Physics, German Beginners, English Advanced and ...

-choice of Economics or Ancient History

-problem is this: Economics - I know I will have trouble keeping up with all the subjects that I will end up doing, and inevitably drop it to concentrate on other subjects ...in other words, i'm using it to use units.

Ancient History - thinking I will have some interest in the topic, but again, I am not THAT interested in the subject, and will also intend to drop it for year 12.

At this point, however, I am leaning towards economics.

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
Mark576 said:
I'm experiencing a similar dilemma involving Economics and Ancient History:
I have already decided (at least at this point of time :)) on Ext.1 Maths, Chemistry, Physics, German Beginners, English Advanced and ...

-choice of Economics or Ancient History

-problem is this: Economics - I know I will have trouble keeping up with all the subjects that I will end up doing, and inevitably drop it to concentrate on other subjects ...in other words, i'm using it to use units.

Ancient History - thinking I will have some interest in the topic, but again, I am not THAT interested in the subject, and will also intend to drop it for year 12.

At this point, however, I am leaning towards economics.
Flip a coin, and do either economics or ancient history next year, then drop it at the beginning of year 12. There's no real problem there :)

LyMatt

HSC
SoulSearcher said:
Flip a coin, and do either economics or ancient history next year, then drop it at the beginning of year 12. There's no real problem there :)
Thats very Smart soulsearcher

zinc

HSC
Yeah I think i have decided to do economics. The coin agreed too. I am pretty sure i wont do it in yr 12. Most people i have asked have suggested i do ancient history because its "fun" where as economics is apparantly "really boring" but history essays sound worse than economics ones.

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
zinc said:
Yeah I think i have decided to do economics. The coin agreed too. I am pretty sure i wont do it in yr 12. Most people i have asked have suggested i do ancient history because its "fun" where as economics is apparantly "really boring" but history essays sound worse than economics ones.
Am I right in thinking that you are going to drop economics next year?

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Without Wings said:
economics isn't boring if you have an interest in the subject. You learn some interesting facts that help you in everyday life and enable you to have a better understanding of the subject and world you live in.
I second that. Unlike other subjects, what you will learn in economics will stay you for the rest of your life; not only does it closely relates to things and events happening in the world, but you will not regret doing the subject.

Last edited:

ReaL~

HSC
IMO Economics is interesting. Its easier to understand as everything adds up.
i.e If one thing happens it causes this. Then this causes that. etc
The downside to eco is that u have to be updated with the au economy..
(read the morning herald or visit the site x).

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
i do eco for the units URGH hate it-.- seriously can't wait to drop it in 8 weeks time! but yeah i guess the sciency/mathsy people will like it better cos it " makes sense" where as bullshit artists like me who are more inclined towards 4U english hate it. hence the dropping.
ancient is alright, it'd probz be more interesting if my teacher wasn't such a BORE honestly that guy...so if you're into your englishy subjects then do ancient , if ur more mathematical do eco. if you like both grab some textbooks or a senior and pump them for info.

aileenli

HSC
If you have a ginormous memory, then i reckon u should go for bio, although they mark every word you write. therefore, if u dont use the exact technical word, then you dont get the mark.

Economics is a very logical subject, but u have to do two essays in the hsc. however, my economics teacher said that only the top students in the year do eco so....

karnoganguli

HSC
I do both ancient history and economics at the moment. Ancient history has a much easier subject content, no doubt. Economics is harder, a lot of students are going to fail while others will do very well. There's a huge gap in year 11 economics. However, you said you hate essays. Well, economics does need essays like ancient but the essays requires models, some mathematics (occassionally), etc. They don't care if you mispell words or by grammar (unless its horrible). Ancient history, requires a lot on spelling and grammar (like english) as it can stuff up your argument. Ecos also has a lot of multiple choice and short response answers. My half yearly ecos exam layout: 50 multis, 40 marks on short answer response, 40 marks on essay in 3 hours. Ancient's layout: 3 essay questions in 2 hours and a half.

Personally, i prefer ecos (however before subject selection, ancient is what i preferred) and i think you should too. If you are in trouble with a topic, ASK THE TEACHER.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)