Analysis of Pride and Prejudice (1 Viewer)

babii > girl

hey everyone...

i have an assignment due next wednesday... and im kinda stuck with a question.. i was wondering if anyone could help me...

Ques: Give a close analtsis of the film techniques in the follwoing scenes, which depict the individual as an agent for self-determination:

1) elizabeth and ladt catherine's final confrontation
2) dracy's first proposal to elizabeth
3) mr collin's proposal

HELP NEEDED DESPERATELY...

s2ophie

HSC
This is all i acn think of on the spot but watch it again and just right stuff down...

1) Notice Lady CAtherine has a dead bird in her hat suggesting her predatory nature. Also fight takes place outdoors, lizzy's natural home

2) Lizzy stands as Darcy's equal ie she does not sit and listen to what he says. She stands and rebukes what he is said perhaps suggesting the need for autonomy of women

3) I don't know...look at the obsequious language used by Collins...sorry i don't know much fo this one.

I doubt that was much help but seriously watch it again, and if you are doing EE1, you should know how to fnd film techniques so all you have to do is relate these to self determination and I&S

babii > girl

thanks... you've actually helped me..
like ive found techniques... but i just don't know how to relate it to self-determination...

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
1) In one part of this scene Lizzy is standing with her background as the garden, while Lady Catherine's background is a crumbling stone wall. The stone wall is symbolic of the crumbling values of the institution of the aristocracy, while the garden symbolizes Lizzy's connection with naturality. Also Lizzy and lady Catherine are shot at eye level and are made to seem equals. There are also facial close ups which allow the responder to see Lizzy's stern face and determined eyes.

How to relate this to self determination: Lizzy refuses to bow to the antiquated values of the aristocracy that Lady Catherine perpetuates. The techniques used demonstrate how lizzy is challenging these values, opting for self determination rather than conformity to social constructs.

That's the only scene I can write about off the top of my head. Hope this helps.

ssssonicyouth

phonic booth
HSC
N/A
woah ash... i won't be suprised when i see you post some insane extension mark in 6 days :p

i have one semi-relevant thing that you can use

lizzy and the girls espouse ( :rolleyes: ) the values associated with a meritocracy... lady cath's inability to stop the marriage between lizzy and darcy signifies the paradigm shift from aristocracy to meritocracy that took place in austen's time

Last edited:

s2ophie

HSC
Originally posted by ssssonicyouth
woah ash... i won't be suprised when i see you post some insane extension mark in 6 days :p
oh she will! no doubt about that!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)