Analysing artworks as a text type in English Essays (1 Viewer)

:::a:::

Un******
HSC
im about to use an artwork [the persistence of memory - dali] for my related text in my imaginative journeys essay.

could someone please (perhaps if you study visual arts) give me the lowdown as to how you go about analysing an art work in general.

and/or maybe someone could tell me how to integrate the 'arty-farty' analysis into the english essay [in terms of techniques and thesis]

thankyou!!!!!
kinda at a loss. this area is unprecedented for me. *strays from the path*

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
Analysing visual texts in terms of english techniques should not be viewed in terms of 'avant-garde' artistic devices.

Simply analyse it with a purpose. Preferably i would go with 1. salient image 2. colour symbolism (esp with dali) 3. foregrounded and backgrounded images.

ie Your eyes will follow the text in a certain manner when you first view it. This is similar to the journeying process where the final 'higher' destination would usually be respresented by something in the top corners of the painting/image.

Kyler-X

HSC
I just had a quick look at the artwork, and tbh, I can't see enough of an imaginative journey, that you could explain in detail in an essay. However, I'm doing physical journeys so I don't really know how an imaginative journey is communicated, but I'd just go about it the same way you'd do any visual piece. Look at the vector, colour symbolism, facial expressions (obviously none in this), foreground and background contrast and similarities, etc etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)