An interesting dilemma. Drop or pursue? (1 Viewer)

Kaido

be.
HSC
First and foremost, I've received the following marks for my preliminary year (School rank ~300)

(Out of whole cohort)
Eng Adv: 7th
Maths 2U: 1st
Maths 3U: 1st
Physics: 1st
Chemistry: 3rd
Economics: 2nd
(Also doing 4U maths in year 12)

So yeah, I'm gonna go for a state rank(s) but am thinking about dropping a subject.
But then again, every subject (other than English) is interesting - and so I'm slightly unsure if I should just man up and take on the extra 2 units or simply ditch it and go for the win. :guitar:

Let me know what you think.

astroman

HSC
well if u wanna state rank, time is ur friend so i suggest whatever u dislike the most, i suggest economics since it is time consuming and not relevant to other subs.

rawrliongirl

HSC
First and foremost, I've received the following marks for my preliminary year (School rank ~300)

(Out of whole cohort)

So yeah, I'm gonna go for a state rank(s) but am thinking about dropping a subject.
But then again, every subject (other than English) is interesting - and so I'm slightly unsure if I should just man up and take on the extra 2 units or simply ditch it and go for the win. :guitar:

Out of those I'd prob drop chem or eco. I have a friend who does economics and she's really good at it but hates it. I do chem and I find it a waste of time (my teacher can't teach for shit though, so maybe that's why I hate it so much).
I'm doing 12 units though, I think I'm going to die tbh.

siggy

HSC
Keep all for now. You're doing so well in all of them you're obviously coping fine.

Wait until first assessments or something and then decide to drop one based on how you felt so far.

Last edited:

b0b101

Pharaoh
HSC

(Out of whole cohort)

Considering that Chemistry is your worst subject I would drop it. However, Economics is quite different to the rest providing a reason to drop it. I would drop the subject (either eco or chem) that does not interest you or will not be relevant to what you want to do in uni. Or just do 12 units

Rebeccaz

HSC
Keep all for now. You're doing so well in all of them you're obviously coping fine.

Wait until first assessments or something and then decide to drop one based on how you felt so far.
I agree, I think you should wait until the first load of assessments and then decide based on how you performed and if you've liked certain subjects more than others this term :)

Fiction

HSC
Out of those I'd prob drop chem or eco. I have a friend who does economics and she's really good at it but hates it. I do chem and I find it a waste of time (my teacher can't teach for shit though, so maybe that's why I hate it so much).
I'm doing 12 units though, I think I'm going to die tbh.
I know 2 people who are doing 16 units c: I was thinking of doing 15.

It's not that bad. There seems to be a shift towards 10 units as opposed to previous years where like 12 was the norm:/

emilios

HSC
To OP:
If you're gonna pick up 4U then you'd be doing exactly the same subjects that I did this year. Having just finished like last week I think I can offer some perspective.

You're in a better position than I was in terms of decision making. At the end of yr 11 I was ranking 1st in all my subjects but knew 12 units would be pretty heavy. Still though, I kept with it coz c'mon... who would drop a subject they're coming first in? But in your case it looks like chem or eco would take the axe unless you know for sure you can pull a 1st (to anyone reading: yes this level of certainty exists at schools ranked ~300... I went to one.)

I would not want to be where I was two weeks ago. I had 4U and Eco in week 2 of examinations (eco is content heavy and kind of a bitch to study for) and then chem, 3U and physics in the 3rd week. I was stressed beyond belief and I think the extra 2 units diverted precious study-time away from my other subjects. I still think I did well (only time will tell) but I HEAVILY doubt I'll hit my (somewhat lofty) goal which was 95 in all subjects. Would I have achieved it if I did 10 units? Who knows. But I know I would've at least been at lot less stressed :)

And in terms of subjects: Eco is bae. I loved eco, and I'm a maths and science type person. The exams are usually easy and you walk out feeling quite good and you can get high marks with moderate effort. I poured my heart and soul into Chem and Phys and sometimes the marking criteria just came along and smashed all my hopes and dreams.

ON THE OTHER HAND! I had previously never believed in the whole 'safety net' idea. Now I can actually understand it. You can be thrown off, no matter how much study you do. There were a couple sillies in made in Chem and 3 marks in Physics I legit just did not know how to do (+ other sillies), and I don't think additional study time would've really remedied that. So so glad I didn't drop Eco (which is what I would've dropped if I had gone for 10) cos I think that's gonna make up for losses in the Science.

So yeah I've probably left you in a worse situation than you came in LOL. Sorry for the rambling but it's honestly a question I struggled with all year.

TL;DR: Stress vs Safety. You decide

And oh the days when we aimed for state ranks. How innocent those days were.

Last edited:

emilios

HSC
I know 2 people who are doing 16 units c: I was thinking of doing 15.

It's not that bad. There seems to be a shift towards 10 units as opposed to previous years where like 12 was the norm:/
It's not bad until exam period brahz. Tell the 16 uniterz they're dreaming LOL

Examine

same
HSC
I'd recommend keeping it. There's heaps of stories of people saying that the subject that they were contemplating dropping ended up being their highest performing sub.

siggy

HSC
Don't drop eco. It gives you some variety lol

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
keep it for now
I kept 12 units until Term 2.
If you fall behind in a subject, or screw up; or get stressed, or too much work. Then drop.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)