An easy question for you Latin types (1 Viewer)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
For a while now I've been bothered by the constructed plural "syllabuses". A few months ago someone said the real plural had to be "syllabi" because of cactus, rhinocerous etc.

However, realising that /b/ is a plosive in the shower, I figured it must be "syllabera"...am I right, or just a lamer noob?

is a roflcopter
HSC
it can be either syllabuses or syllabi

and i think the word is greek or something

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
newbie says rightly so that syllabus has greek, not latin, origins, and thus it is not a second-declension masculine plural -i.

the correct english form should be syllabuses. Anyone saying syllabi are trying to act like a hardcore intellectual type but are actually making a fool of themselves. :)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Ok, I'll check the greek. Syllabuses may be the adopted English plural, but it's hideous and unweildly.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
but syllabi is just so pretentious...

is a roflcopter
HSC
i doubt we will ever use this word in our hsc
so......fuck it

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Actually, Syllabus was a Latin word with Greek influences, but you are right in saying it's Syllabi (www.dictionary.com anyone?) even though it doesn't sound right. It came into English through medieval Latin and the plural syllabuses was only recently constructed (mid 20th century).

Still, Syllabi isn't as fugly as Syllabuses, and the incorrect Syllabera sounds better :D

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Ok, here's another one. Remember I'm not a real Latin student and can't conjugate so don't throw rotten fruit at me...

Any Christians here? If you've seen the Crucifix you may have noticed "INRI" pinned to the top. Every Catholic knows this stands for "Jesus of Nazareth, King of the Jews".

How would I do this? I know it's something similar to "Iesu Nazarea, Rex Iudei"...but I know the conjugations are wrong. An explanation please, someone?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
first, lexo, remember, conjugations are for verbs, gender and declensions are for nouns.

secondly, your INRI stands for Iesus Narzarenus Rex Iudaeorum... all the first three words are masculine to agree with Iesus. The last word is masculine genitive plural.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Declensions! A word I haven't heard in years. My linguistics are usually based on script rather than structure.

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
Originally posted by Frigid
first, lexo, remember, conjugations are for verbs, gender and declensions are for nouns.

secondly, your INRI stands for Iesus Narzarenus Rex Iudaeorum... all the first three words are masculine to agree with Iesus. The last word is masculine genitive plural.

wow, frigid flexing his latin muscles! :D

mic

Chronic Burper
HSC
N/A
Yeah, Frigid is gonna do really well in the HSC :D

conjugations, declensions, person, mood, voice, tense...

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by mic
Yeah, Frigid is gonna do really well in the HSC :D

conjugations, declensions, person, mood, voice, tense...
*cough* that'll require a dramatic change of self *cough*

but thanks for the support nonetheless... :)

mic

Chronic Burper
HSC
N/A
Anytime. You know you're gonna do well! what did you think about the translations btw?

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
personally i thought they were CRAP! :D

no sorry, just jk, haven't read them :p

i'm sure they're perfectly fine, though be careful if they're too literal. try to render them slightly

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)