AM I GETING RIPED OFF?(english tutor) (1 Viewer)

xxPanDa

HSC
i go to a private english tutor that *WAS* once a hsc marker
i get tutored HSC yr12 STANDARD english at strathfield, for 1hr
she charges me $55
she takes like 30mins to mark one of my essays, and sometimes trys to get me to start an essay, so she just sits next to me readin her magazine, and i ask her questions if i dont understand.
we sometimes do past papers.. but i think she ran out.. she didnt hav much

so am i getign riped off? how much do english tutors generaly charge?
if so, could u recomend me a tutor, (near strathfield)

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
xxPanDa said:
she charges me $55
she takes like 30mins to mark one of my essays, and sometimes trys to get me to start an essay, so she just sits next to me readin her magazine, and i ask her questions if i dont understand.

like...let go....right now, that's total rort. you can get better tutor on bos...for god's sake you have nwatts available!!!!!

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
There's a thread about an excellent ex-HSC-ENGL teacher of mine - Mr. Waldron at Chatswood, floating around BoS at the moment. He charges around $60 for private tuition and knows his stuff inside out, and sideways too. :)

Dgod

HSC
ameh said:
There's a thread about an excellent ex-HSC-ENGL teacher of mine - Mr. Waldron at Chatswood, floating around BoS at the moment. He charges around $60 for private tuition and knows his stuff inside out, and sideways too. :)

Do you have his contact details?

Thanks

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
Try contacting North Shore, Chatswood.

I'm not at liberty to divulge his contact details {Sorry}

Dgod

HSC
Do you know how much he charges per hour? And whereabouts does he tutor if privately

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
rnitya_25 said:
like...let go....right now, that's total rort. you can get better tutor on bos...for god's sake you have nwatts available!!!!!
nicksta FTW!!!1

Lainee

HSC
If I was paying that much per hour, I would demand much more substance for my money. I would want not only marking of my essays, but sample answers from her or 'model answers' that show you how to write proper introductions etc. in your own essays.

Moreover, contact time is too expensive and limited for her to sit there watching you write. Contact time is for going through what you've already written or giving crucial advice on development of your skills.

When I'm teaching my own students, I've collected over 30 different past papers questions from school trials, for them to write in their own time. I use contact time to go through essay structure, question analysis, how to write effective revision notes for certain questions, how to work through an exam type situation etc.

All that from a uni student with 3 years teaching experience. From an exam marker, I'd expect all that and that bit extra that justifies him/her charging a higher price otherwise for the $55 you're charging her per hour, you could get 2 hours from me or many other uni students.

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
Man its better than me...I dont know if I went to the same one when I did my HSC....I used to pay $60 an hour and my twin also had to pay $60 and the story was similar to yours...you should speak up now or get ur parents to have a chat! Anyways it gave me motivation to work hard due to the shittiest school and teachers!

ladyknight

HSC
Maybe try giving your tutor the essay to mark as homework so you get that half hour back?

matt_anders

HSC
xxPanDa said:
she charges me $55

yeah u r. My French tutor/coach charges me $60/h (at my place) but for this price i get a model answer for any essay i write and they are corrected outside tutoring time. Tutoring time is for feedback and analysis or language activities, mock exams... I can call or email him outside tute hours if i have a question. Even if your tute was HSC marker, it doesn't justify the price...my tute used to mark uni students overseas and he has more resources than the library at my school...I know why I pay $60...
You should ask to have essays corrected outsiode tutoring time really

xxPanDa

HSC
i'm curently going to a coahcing colledge for maths
do u fink i should drop my english tutor now, and go to the english class at my coaching college?
its much cheaper.. $40 for 2 hrs?

or.. is there someting private tutors can give tat group teaching tutors cant give?

help me weigh the differences:confused:

thnx

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)