Am I able to apply for Mathematics Extension 1 in Year 12? (1 Viewer)

rear8321

HSC
Hello everyone, I dropped extension 1 after two extremely horrible failure examinations in Mathematics and Mathematics Extension 1 due to lack of basic skills in solving the problem, and after 5 months of study I am feeling that I am not too bad with those basics now. And I will be start HSC in next term, It is possible to apply for Mathematics Extension 1 in Year 12 without the preliminary knowledge? Because the future course in the uni said that it would be better to enter that course with Mathematics Extension (Assumed Knowledge)

Thanks.

Last edited:

OldMathsGuy

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
You may have difficulties because you won't have Extension 1 Maths on your Y11 Record of Achievement.
You will have to talk to your teacher/school about what options you have. Mention that a course you are looking at has Extension 1 as a prerequisite and see what they can do (what actually is the course you are looking at?).
If this does not work, you will find that most big unis offer bridging classes (check Uni involved for dates) to get you up to scratch. Those courses are a bit of a band-aid but such will be your only real option.

However, the big issue here is how are you going in Mathematics at the moment? If you are going really well then push for it but otherwise, you might be better just doing the best you can in Mathematics. To catch up on the work, you are most likely going to need a tutor or a teacher who can give you some guidance. If you are allowed to go back to Extension 1, you are going to have a whole heap of work to do.

Best Regards
OldMathsGuy

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Hello everyone, I dropped extension 1 after two extremely horrible failure examinations in Mathematics and Mathematics Extension 1 due to lack of basic skills in solving the problem, and after 5 months of study I am feeling that I am not too bad with those basics now. And I will be start HSC in next term, It is possible to apply for Mathematics Extension 1 in Year 12 without the preliminary knowledge? Because the future course in the uni said that it would be better to enter that course with Mathematics Extension (Assumed Knowledge)

Thanks.
well, I'd probably say no, because I asked the same thing to my subject coordinator back in year 11, and I was passing 2unit, but she said "Why would I let you do MX1 when you haven't completed the prelim course".

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Probably not because you need the preliminary knowledge for the exam.

interesting

HSC
N/A
nope becasue there are 3U stuff that are learnt in Year 11

qawe

HSC
N/A
nope becasue there are 3U stuff that are learnt in Year 11
maybe if ur school has a 2u in yr11 acceleration program, that would mean that only/mainly 2u content is studied in yr 11 (probs almost the whole 2u course).
then it would be easy to switch, but not too many schools are like that

rear8321

HSC
You may have difficulties because you won't have Extension 1 Maths on your Y11 Record of Achievement.
You will have to talk to your teacher/school about what options you have. Mention that a course you are looking at has Extension 1 as a prerequisite and see what they can do (what actually is the course you are looking at?).
If this does not work, you will find that most big unis offer bridging classes (check Uni involved for dates) to get you up to scratch. Those courses are a bit of a band-aid but such will be your only real option.

However, the big issue here is how are you going in Mathematics at the moment? If you are going really well then push for it but otherwise, you might be better just doing the best you can in Mathematics. To catch up on the work, you are most likely going to need a tutor or a teacher who can give you some guidance. If you are allowed to go back to Extension 1, you are going to have a whole heap of work to do.

Best Regards
OldMathsGuy
Thank you for the help :)
The course that i want to do in uni is Computer Engineering, and i have checked that on the website and stated that Mathematics Extension is one of the assumed knowledges.
I think I am going alright after the first failure of Mathematics exam, but not very well. I've got 81/100 in the topic test and not sure about what mark i've get in the Prelim Exam yet.
And I will ask my Maths teacher to see either i am able to apply or not if my Prelim Exam was over 80. (My old extension teacher said his expectation of extension students are over 80s)

rear8321

HSC
well, I'd probably say no, because I asked the same thing to my subject coordinator back in year 11, and I was passing 2unit, but she said "Why would I let you do MX1 when you haven't completed the prelim course".

Thanks but anyway if i could get over 80% in the Prelim Exam I would try to ask. :)

rear8321

HSC
maybe if ur school has a 2u in yr11 acceleration program, that would mean that only/mainly 2u content is studied in yr 11 (probs almost the whole 2u course).
then it would be easy to switch, but not too many schools are like that
Never heart of these programs in school :( ..

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Never heart of these programs in school :( ..
My school does all the 2U topic first then start doing the 3U topics on Year 12. I still don't think you can enter since they need to apply to BoS and all those applications...etc won't exactly go well.

rear8321

HSC
Right, Thanks Riproot and interesting.
Just got my result back today and wasn't very good, 79% :(..
Yep, to get my hopes up i must ask thanks :)

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Right, Thanks Riproot and interesting.
Just got my result back today and wasn't very good, 79% :(..
Yep, to get my hopes up i must ask thanks :)
They probably won't let you with 97% anyway.
The lowest I got for mathematics in prelim was 90% and that was fucking shameful. I came like last out of then 10 kids in extension and a few maths kids beat me and that was back when I was getting 60%ish in extension.
So… don't get your hopes up too much.

OldMathsGuy

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Thank you for the help :)
The course that i want to do in uni is Computer Engineering
Ouch. You're definitely doing a course then with a high level maths component. The typical 1st year maths course assumes Extension 1 and covers and then extends on most of the Ext 2 course. What this means is you are going to have to work your butt off. Again I really suggest you talk to your teachers and see what they can do to assist. If you are going to need to put that level of work in, you may as well have it recognised. Best of luck with it and if you need any help, post back here and I'll do my best.

Best Regards
OldMathsGuy

interesting

HSC
N/A
nope i highly doubt they would let you re apply anyyway because you are lacking a lot of skills from year 11

rear8321

HSC
Thanks OldMathGuy, Today i have finally asked the teacher and it seems that i have a bit of hopes for doing Mathematics Extension 1, the teacher said let me to bring a note and he will talk to the head teacher and the extension teacher. :)

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks OldMathGuy, Today i have finally asked the teacher and it seems that i have a bit of hopes for doing Mathematics Extension 1, the teacher said let me to bring a note and he will talk to the head teacher and the extension teacher. :)
That's a good sign, they're considering your request which is good. If you're not entered in Preliminary then you can't be entered in HSC (correct me if I'm wrong) so don't get too hopeful. It would be really good for you if you could get in though.

rear8321

HSC
So in the morning today the head teacher spoke to me said that she won't let me do it because i missed out a lot the works from year 11, and there is a bridging course available and etc.. She's right, maybe i could catch up the works in the bridging course. Anyway, i am going to focus on Maths, try my best :)..
Thanks everyone for helping me a lot :)

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, mate. As long as you do well in mathematics I'm sure you'll be all good. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)