Alternative Rock vs. Indie Rock (1 Viewer)

nikilily

HSC
Ok, well why's it so hard, you can't be THAT insecure inside.

Joking. I know I've made it hard with my ridiculous posts...which i admit too

richardneill

HSC
Anyway, I agree that indie kids are generally douchebags and it is funny to see them and the stereotypes that are so close to so many of them. I like it because I like the music. Alternative rock has less scenesters too I suppose.
Indeed. However those are actually "indie kids" not real indie kids. i.e. the ones that listen to bands that are promoted as "indie" but actually aren't (All American Rejects, Kings of Leon and Owl City). Basically the people that seem to obsessively listen to bands with names and song titles that are in excess of 10 words.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I'm kind of love/hate with Owl City at the moment. I like his sound, mainly just because I love the Postal Service. What I am over though is the constant radio play of Fireflies, which isn't even the best track off the album.

richardneill

HSC
I'm kind of love/hate with Owl City at the moment. I like his sound, mainly just because I love the Postal Service. What I am over though is the constant radio play of Fireflies, which isn't even the best track off the album.
I just refuse to listen to him out of principle. All of his songs have cheesy lyrics and are generally terribly structured. He even uses the exact same chord progression on 2 of the songs on Ocean Eyes. The 'sound' you like is probably more of a trait of the synthpop genre than Owl City himself. If you like his sound try Cassettes Won't Listen and Coconut Records - pretty much Owl City but decent musicians.

It makes me irate that Owl City can jump to number one and everyone thinks that he invented the genre when hardworking groups such as The Postal Service go pretty much unnoticed unless you go looking for them (which the general population is too stupid to do).

There was an interview where Adam Young (Owl City) even said himself that Ocean Eyes could be seen as a continuation of the Postal Service!

Last edited:

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
The 'sound' you like is probably more of a trait of the synthpop genre than Owl City himself
Definitely. I've done quite a bit of searching of indietronica/synthpop recently. I've got the complete discog's of a few artists now, so I'm getting through them slowly.

Both dntl and DCFC are great bands, and it shows in the Postal Services work. I know Adam claims a huge influence from the Postal Service; which I guess is what I like about him. It might not be as good, but at least it's a push in the right direction IMO.

But yeah, I don't like the new fanboy/girl's of Owl City. Most really only know the one song. The more hardcore may know Vanilla Twilight and possible Hello Seattle. But that's the one thing that can be assured of these days... If it's not on the charts, most people won't go searching for it.

With such ease in music searching options nowadays, you'd think the public could put in a little effort...

richardneill

HSC
With such ease in music searching options nowadays, you'd think the public could put in a little effort...
My sentiments exactly. All it takes is one look at Sputnik's homepage to find about 15 good bands that they would never have heard of. Also have a look at Action Action. They're more gothic than Postal Service, etc but they're still quite good. Remind me of Gary Numan.

YouTube - Action Action - "Drug Like" Victory Records

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
so therefore both could be the same thing
In a sense, yes. That's sort of what I mentioned in my original post :)

My sentiments exactly. All it takes is one look at Sputnik's homepage to find about 15 good bands that they would never have heard of. Also have a look at Action Action.
I'll give them a go in the daytime, when everyones not asleep here :). At the moment I've been listening to Octopus Project, Lykke Li, and Fujiya & Miyagi. And also so Lo-Fi bands like Low and Say Hi. Say Hi in particular are really worth a go.

Lord Farquad

HSC
Indeed. However those are actually "indie kids" not real indie kids. i.e. the ones that listen to bands that are promoted as "indie" but actually aren't (All American Rejects, Kings of Leon and Owl City). Basically the people that seem to obsessively listen to bands with names and song titles that are in excess of 10 words.
this applies to everyone whoiistens to triple j exclusively and believes this formulates good music taste.

whick applies to an alarming number of people i know

s-p-a-c-e-d

HSC
this applies to everyone whoiistens to triple j exclusively and believes this formulates good music taste.

whick applies to an alarming number of people i know
but at the same time jjj will barely ever play things from such bands...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)