Alternate ways to get into Uni (1 Viewer)

rantman

HSC
N/A
If I fail to achieve the cutoff mark by only a few marks for my prefered course, what are my alternate pathways of getting into that course, besides doing the following (keeping in mind that I can't get EAS):
- doing 1 year of TAFE
- repeating HSC
- tranfer after 1st year

e.g. if I need 92%UAI to get into B Economics and I get 90%UAI, what can I do, if anything at all?

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
many places offer non award study.. like macquarie has sibt and uts has insearch.. also some unis have flexible entry schemes so maybe if u did really well in business studies or something relevant to ur course but not so crash hot in another they might let you in..
you can try going to another uni doing the same course.. or doing a course with a lower uai cutoff at the same uni then trying to transfer (internally seems to be easier).
there are also other entry schemes unis have like at uws you can do the ret test to try to get in if ur up to 10 points below the cutoff.. and at macquarie they have this thing where u can get 5 points added onto ur uai to get into a course there but im not sure what that entails maybe someone else can help
oh theres also the fee paying option, where you can pay full fees for your course but that can be very costly (so can non award study depending on the uni)
also there are many business colleges around.. but they can also be expensive
theres quite a few options im sure you will find out about them throughout the year from your careers advisor

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
You can also try as mature age a few years down the track.
Talking to the head of the faculty and see what they have to say is another option.
A risky option is to enrol in a BA and just take all the units of the degree you want to do anyway and hope that in the 2/3 years you are there you can get them to update the title on your bit of paper.
Apply mid year, apply for external study, get work to sponsor you.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
I'll tell you my story

My HSC year I made a conscious decision to do no work. And so resulted in a 73.30 UAI. I didn't mind, it was enough to get me into a BSc degree. However, the course I have wanted to be in for several years has a cutoff in the 90's (for 2005 entry it was 92.25). I accepted the BSc offer, went through last year and ended up with a 5.0 GPA (once again through way too little work for my own good, but thats another story). Luckily for me, my uni of choice also requires non-yr 12 students wishing to gain entry into that particular program to sit an interview. So whilst my UAI/GPA would not have been high enough to get me into the program at my uni, the interview (which I blew) pulled through and got me there. However, I would have also been able to gain entry to the program at other uni's that don't interview with my UAI/GPA.

Moral of the story: go in the back door if possible. Yeah, it may take you a year longer to get your degree, but at this end of our lives, a year is nothing, and you will take sooooooo much from the additional year.

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
hipsta_jess said:
Moral of the story: go in the back door if possible. Yeah, it may take you a year longer to get your degree, but at this end of our lives, a year is nothing, and you will take sooooooo much from the additional year.

So will the government!! That additional year gives them an extra $3000!!!

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
PrincessSJ said:
So will the government!! That additional year gives them an extra $3000!!!
True, but I don't view last year as a waste, either of time, money or anything else.

klh

HSC
open learning....
basically doing unit of study at home, but doing osme units and reaplying to the uni.
but i agree with hipsta jess, going through the back door you learn alot more about uni and maybe what you like as well. for instance, i had the image of being an IT grad but after a year studying IT, it isnt crash hot to me anymore and i changed my course. IT was my besy hsc course that i did well in but after a year, you learn alot about your preferences.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
LeftrightOut said:
If your parents are rich they could always donate a building to the University or something, I hear they love people like that :)
Yep, bribing the uni with money could work :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)