Alices Adventures In Wonderland (1 Viewer)

inasero

Reborn
HSC
I read it and it was amusing for its absurdity...but can we derive enjoyment from this novel in any other sense? Does it resound with any philosophical elements?

That said, the sequel (Through the Looking Glass) is so very random...can someone please interpret it for me since I know there should be an underlying message (I don't think Lewis Carroll was a proponent of Absurdism).

s2ophie

HSC
I need to read these again. i read through the looking glass at a young and the concept of absurdism was too absurd for me to comprehend

inasero

Reborn
HSC
aww cmon surely there shoud be some more replies?!

glitter burns

the sky is falling
HSC
I'm with s2ophie, I think I was too young to fully comprehend everything the books offered when I first read them.
I know that a lot of the story revolves around the abstracts of mathematics or some such.

I actually heard that Lewis Carrol was a pedophile, he'd befriend families and then coerce them into allowing him to spend time with the kids, and photograph them nude, and that he wrote the books for one of his child loves who was having problems with maths. Dunno if it's true or not, but I kind of lost respect for the books after I heard it.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
Woah is that so? It never came across my mind that he could be a paedo...I thought he just liked children. On the subject of maths, how do his novels demonstrate mathematical concepts?

glitter burns

the sky is falling
HSC
Originally posted by inasero
Woah is that so? It never came across my mind that he could be a paedo...I thought he just liked children. On the subject of maths, how do his novels demonstrate mathematical concepts?
I dunno if it's true or not, I'd heard rumours about it, then I stumbled across one of those "Random question" websites where people ask questions and then some person researches and answers em, and it was a question answered there.

But I dunno how they demonstrate mathematical concepts... *shrugs* I suck at maths, I didn't do it for the HSC, hehe.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Hmm, I don't think it was that bad, glitter...

There's actually a book about Carroll - at least, I read something about it - that explains his relationship with Alice and the creation of Alice in Wonderland. It's not philosophical per se, but it is quite interesting.

I *believe* it may have been written by the guy who illustrated his books. Carroll did some illustrations, but he didn't do all of them.

I'm going from vague memories from years ago, though, so please excuse inaccuracy :D

lazybum

HSC
N/A
i read it - didn't understand what defined it as a classic

rubylotus11

I liked the novel, but there was this one really well made mini-series that I liked even more. It sort of made the absurdity of the story more enjoyable and less confusing.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
heaps of ppl are doing "alice" for imaginative journey or so i've heard. im trying to stay away from"childrens stuff" but i dont think alice could be completely classified as "childrens stuff" . even so i like the book either way just to read for enjoyment :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)