Algorithm Searching, Sorting and Processing strings? (1 Viewer)

huwscor

HSC
Hey All

I was wondering if we are expected to remember how to exactly write algorithms for searching(binary, linear etc) and processing strings and sorting for the exam. It seems to me that this would be rather difficult as some of them are quite large(e.g. binary search in pseudocode). I know we have to be able to recognise how they work and what they do but will we actually have to have them memorised for the exam to be able to write them?

thanks.

Last edited:

Fluorescent

Banned
HSC
I really doubt it mainly due to:
1. too much to memorise
2. Memorising defeats the purpose of actually learning - even an SDD noob or someone who isn't in the class could memorise an algorithm

I think at most you would have to identify it or maybe create a smaller version?

Just a guess..

huwscor

HSC
Thanks. Ive been waiting all day for someone to finally respond.

Fluorescent

Banned
HSC
No worries
Oh and - it's just an educated guess
Don't be mad if the test shows otherwise ><

ibrian

HSC
yes and no
binary search n linear search are common n are usually required in some questions where they ask u to search n write psuedocodes
and im pretty sure u dont need to remember sorting methods, that shit is whack and like u said, you just need to recognise whats happening within that code n what type of sort that is

Nivek5

HSC
I think youll definatly need to know what sort and search is which.. how they function

Being able to recognise the code is most likely needed

I think you may be asked to write one, but this can be done without memorization, just make some minor documentation describing how it works and it will be fine.. aslong as it does whats its meant to.

in my trials i had to write an insertion sort... and a linear search so yeh, i think the teacher did that just to test if we knew what they were though, wasnt getting into code specifics.

Just have a breif understanding of how to code them, imo

HSC
The main process of algorithms is based on the step-by-step procedure, but hopefully questions won't be based on the algorithms of searching.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
do we need to know this in depth? I have 3 different versions of the same algorithms, one being 4 lines and the others being like 20 - 25 lines long. Please help :/ insertion of strings is the scary one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)