• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

albert speer (1 Viewer)

reemz

HSC
im confused about albert speer

can i please get help on me speech? its about albert speer and how he played a role in implementing and supporting nazi terror and racial policies. does anyone have any info i can use that would be helpful?

Last edited:

rama_v

HSC
There's plenty of information...get yourself a copy of Republic to Reich I think that book has some good info on Speer. You should also look into Joachim Fest's Book "Speer: A Final Verdict" once you've got the background info on Speer.

You would have to look into many factors, such as his visit to concentration camps (Mauthousen and the DORA facility), and the way he blindly followed Nazi policies. He once said "I had closed my eyes", his many contradictions especially his testimony at Nuremberg and the way he prolonged the war by two years simply to please hitler and advance in his career (no moral or conscious regard for the well being of others in doing so). Also Speer once claimed that he joined teh nazis to advance his career and yet later on he is also quoted as saying that the Nazis represented the ideal society in Germany.

Of great significance is the fact that he claimed to know nothing of the holocaust which is truly unbelievable considering he was responsible for all the war production in Nazi Germany and so would have known about the transport (i.e. trains) that were transporting goods across Europe. The fact that trains carrying Jews were given preference over trains carrying military goods shows how important these trains were to the Nazis, so surely Speer must have known this. I cant remember much more from the top of my head but i hope you get started by reading loads of material - its all out there :)

Last edited:

reemz

HSC
thanx

thanx so i just talk about how he helped out and how he dismisses ideas of him havin any knowlodge of da events which happened?

rama_v

HSC
reemz said:
thanx so i just talk about how he helped out and how he dismisses ideas of him havin any knowlodge of da events which happened?
Yeah. On one side he denies any knowledge so you talk about that and on the other he was ready to do all that was possible to prolong the war...even though he knew it was over by 1943.

some historians such as Dan van der vat argue that Speer exaggerated the statistics on his own performance, so maybe you might want to include that in your discussion too...

rama_v

HSC
lol I did modern history last year and got 94 :) Im doing too many units to do extension this year hehe

rama_v

HSC
Nah, I did modern history as an accelerated course... so i did it in year 10 and 11 :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)