AJP Taylor - context (1 Viewer)

*10#

hey all you appeasement ppl

im kinda confused about Taylor
was he anti-appeasement in the 1930s because he had left wing affliations?
and then was he less critical in the 1960s because he had shifted to the right?

also would it be ok to say he liked being controversial and therefore was more likely to critique the orthodox view?

any info would be muchly appreciated - cheers!

eveajac

OK well there's not a completely clear 'answer' to Taylor's change of sentiment.
Note that he was educated at a Quaker school and came from a pacifist background, so would have been more inclined to condemn any policy that (intentionally or unintentionally) resulted in war.

The best answer however is that he changed his view due to what Churchill (in The Gathering Storm) called "the afterlight [which] softens many of the severities of contemporary controversy". i.e., the passing of time between the 1930s and 1961 allowed Taylor to distance himself from the emotions of the time, which thus enabled him to make a more balanced and reasonable assessment of the events, the policy and the
policymakers.

Remember that A.J.P isn't a true revisionist though; e.g.his condemnation of Chamberlain and the appeasers as being characterised by "timidity; blindness; and moral doubts"
However in the exam it's really not that relevant to mention his former anti-appeasement background - just focus on the more moderate view he puts forward in 'Origins'.

I definitely wouldn't say anything about him 'wanting to be controversial' - that's quite a large premature assumption.
His opposition to the orthodox view may also have come through his methodology: he relied heavily on diplomatic documents as his sources, while Cato, Churchill etc (who confirmed the orthodox view) did not examine these as heavily, instead using other sources. (e.g. Churchill used his political experience to justify his authority)

Hope this makes sense and helps!

*10#

thanks heaps eveajac - i think i wont bother mentioning the contoversial views thingy as your right it is a bit of a generalisation

not really a revisionist - then who was????

eveajac

A.J.P Taylor was part of Stage 2 writings on appeasement, what our teacher calls "Keith Robbins' Years of Transition". Correlli Barnett (The Collapse of British Power) Richard Overy (The Road to War) and John Charmley (Chamberlain and the Lost Peace) were all revisionists.
However I wouldn't be changing your ideas now, the ideas you have sound pretty good!
Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)