Agrppina The younger (1 Viewer)

cesaro

I need more info on her especially on the education of Roman women of the time
also more information on her relationship with Seneca and Burrus

shelley

trouble maker
HSC
seneca and burrus = a patron client relationship. In other words in exachange for her patronage and gaining of favour/postitions fom her, they have to support her and co operate with her intentions. That a really brief explanation though, ill probebrly come back (or if u contact me direct) and elaborate on it!

exactly what about education to you need? Emial me, or grab me on msn (msn proberbly easier i tend to forget to answer emails) and ill to my best to elaborate.

shelley

trouble maker
HSC
u typr
and have the web address that hosts the pic in between the two brackets (right click on pic, hit properties and cut and paste the address)

so for mine u go

or so u can see better
but like dont use the spaces and dots i was just showing the set up

SimpaticO

Happy Man
You must remember that Seneca and Burrus are significant in the study of Agrippina the Younger for many reasons.

Firstly, Seneca was a proficient and well known and admired scholar in Ancient Rome. He actually tutored Nero. It is therefore considered by many historians that it was largely through Seneca that Agrippina was able to achieve the dominance over Nero that she was believed to have had.

Also, Agrippina relied upon Seneca and Burrus largely as confidante's and utilised their aid in securing Nero's rise to prominence, her marriage to uncle Claudius, and Nero's marriage to Octavia.

Thus their role is significant. Think about the nature and dynamics of the relationship between Agrippina and these two men and you should be able to understand their significance. Seneca and Burrus were largely in the service of Agrippina. It is interesting to note that after the death of Gaius, and the subsequent accession of Claudius, Agrippina even had Seneca and Burrus recalled from exile and placed back into her service (that also says something of the importance of the men to Agrippina) and as I said before, she inisisted that Nero recieve Seneca's tuition (another interesting point).

So I think that's what you should look at. If you look at the relationship between Seneca, Burrus, and Agrippina and the interactions between them at different stages, you will be able to make a strong argument regarding the importance of Agrippina's relationship with Seneca and Burrus.

Hope that helps!

Aimz- Lou.

Seneca was recalled from exile by Agrippina, thus meaning that he owed her- big time. He was installed as the tutor of Nero, and also made a praetor because Agrippina influenced Claudius. Seneca is important in the advancement of Nero ahead of Brittanicus because Seneca was know to be hostile towards Claudius. He would thus champion Agrippina's cause for Nero to become emperor.

Burrus also gained his position as the praetorian prefect because of Agrippina's influence. Agrippina convinced Claudius that the two existing prefects were rivals, and their rivalry was causing a rift in the guard. She said that one prefect would eliminate this problem, and suggested Burrus for the job. He was the advisor of nero, and it was through him that Nero recieved the allegiance of the praetorian guard. Tacitus talks about both of these influential men in chapter 10, the mother of Nero. If you don't have access to it, let me know and I'll put the relevant quotes up.

I hope that helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)