Aggregate Cut-Offs for UAIs (1 Viewer)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
dp624 said:
But a 98 goes to 100? You can;'t use JUAI or enstein because they're linear methinks, just use common sense. haha.
But using a linear system is not really a common sense because linear system shouldn't really apply...
zephyrio is off to tutor people, methinks.

I am off to sleep now then.

Zephyrio

HSC
dp624 said:
Yup
and crap Laurie's is massive. 497!!!! zomgrofl.

Joy thompson hmm let's see
100 in adv eng
6th in bio -> about 98
4th in chem -> about 99
1st in comparative ->100
5th in maths -> about 99

so that's about 496?
LOL. Wow!

I would have thought that Roslyn would go onto med, but hey if optom's her dream career, full credit to her.

dp624

HSC
lyounamu said:
But using a linear system is not really a common sense because linear system shouldn't really apply...
zephyrio is off to tutor people, methinks.

I am off to sleep now then.
I is meaning that using linear wasn't common sense. lol. Apply your own views, whatever lmao

yeah ros made med i tihnk, but optom was her choice lol.

kkcya guys

Zephyrio

HSC
dp624 said:
But a 98 goes to 100? You can;'t use JUAI or enstein because they're linear methinks, just use common sense. haha.

Seeya zeph! bring the dough home =P
But I thought it was kinda exponential. Because think about it this way: a 93 in advanced goes to 89; a 94 goes to 92.6; a 95 goes to around 95. Seems to suggest that it's not linear?

dp624

HSC
Zephyrio said:
But I thought it was kinda exponential. Because think about it this way: a 93 in advanced goes to 89; a 94 goes to 92.6; a 95 goes to around 95. Seems to suggest that it's not linear?
I think it is exponential. But i also think JUAi & co use linear scaling.

Best of luck to all then =P (plus i don't tihnk i can top 3u maths, i've lost a mark there already. chem is very slim, phys a small maybe to top)

fallenstar

liberate, educate.
HSC
lyounamu said:
Ah, I am overwhelmed by those crazy people...and I will soon be overwhelmed by you two guys - zephyrio and dp624!!! Don't forget to give me a signature when I visit you. lol :p
Zephyrio said:
Mkay gotta go work guyz. good luck with you two: dp624 (3U maths, phys, chem) and namu (2U maths)
once again those of us who have a chance of topping humanities subjects (Modern, Society & Extension) are overlooked :p yep, it's only 4u math, phys and chem that count haha

Last edited:

dp624

HSC
fallenstar said:
once again those of us who have a chance of topping humanities subjects (Modern, Society & Extension) are overlooked :p yep, it's only 4u math, phys and chem that count haha
They're higher profile subjects I tihnk. lmao, noone's holding it against you

fallenstar

liberate, educate.
HSC
dp624 said:
They're higher profile subjects I tihnk. lmao, noone's holding it against you
hahah i know. i'm just feeling bitchy because the phone isn't ringing.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
fallenstar said:
hahah i know. i'm just feeling bitchy because the phone isn't ringing.
lol, that's only for the top in the state.

You might have got a state rank, just not the first. lol

fallenstar

liberate, educate.
HSC
lyounamu said:
lol, that's only for the top in the state.

You might have got a state rank, just not the first. lol
i am aware of that. lol.

i have a very good chance of topping one of my subjects. sounds conceited but i know it so why not say it.

dp624

HSC
Good luck then!
I have only chances (and they're slim) in ch and ph. more likely ph because the people ahead of me internally for chem probably did as well as i did externally.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
fallenstar said:
i am aware of that. lol.

i have a very good chance of topping one of my subjects. sounds conceited but i know it so why not say it.
Ah, good luck. What is it by the way? If it is a humanity subject, it's really hard to predict though.

fallenstar

liberate, educate.
HSC
lyounamu said:
Ah, good luck. What is it by the way?
Society & Culture. Also Modern History, or at least top 5 depending how they marked one contentious section (head of history at our school had an opinion in my favour though, thankfully). And a chance of top 10 for Extension History. thanks for your luck. good luck for 2U :)

fallenstar

liberate, educate.
HSC
lyounamu said:
If it is a humanity subject, it's really hard to predict though.
True, as it's more conceptual as opposed to concrete. But I'm on 99 internally for a few humanities so hoping my school's marking was in alignment with HSC marking.

dp624

HSC
fallenstar said:
True, as it's more conceptual as opposed to concrete. But I'm on 99 internally for a few humanities so hoping my school's marking was in alignment with HSC marking.
Yeah, that's why I didn't do humanities. It's easier to have more bias in it methinks.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
dp624 said:
Yeah, that's why I didn't do humanities. It's easier to have more bias in it methinks.
Well, it's at least double-marked for some or tripled marked if there are some disputes.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Be a bit careful when you say "93 goes to 92.8", because this can be misleading. The aligned marks (the ones you get to see) are not directly correlated to the scaled marks.

The purpose of the table is to show you what aligned and scaled mark corresponded to particular percentiles, not what aligned marks correspond to which scaled marks. Unfortunately, the format of the table makes it easy to come to that misconception.

RAW marks are modified in two different ways. One path is where they are "aligned" which gives the HSC marks and the other path is where they are "scaled" which contributes to the UAI. There are two different "algorithms" implemented, which are in no way related to each other other than the fact they start with raw marks. So trying to work out any pattern or equation between aligned marks and scaled marks is rather futile.

One single aligned mark can correspond to DIFFERENT raw marks, so it wouldn't be surprising if you see the same aligned mark have two different scaled marks, because the raw marks behind them may differ.

Last edited:

dp624

HSC
Trebla said:
One single aligned mark can correspond to DIFFERENT raw marks, so it wouldn't be surprising if you see the same aligned mark have two different scaled marks, because the raw marks behind them may differ.
Yeah, I realise, but the difference should be small (as in aligned -> scaled)? Not majorly large like 0.5 off or something.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
dp624 said:
Yeah, I realise, but the difference should be small (as in aligned -> scaled)? Not majorly large like 0.5 off or something.
Actually, it can differ quite a fair bit. If you look at English Extension 2 2007, the top and 99th percentiles were BOTH 50/50. However, the scaled marks are 50.0 for the top and 49.2 for the 99th percentile...that's a 0.8 mark difference in scaled marks for the same aligned mark.

In fact, in 2006 it was an even more significant difference. The top and 99th percentiles were BOTH 50/50 as well. However, the scaled marks are 50.0 for the top and 48.4 for the 99th percentile....that's a 1.6 mark difference in scaled marks for the same aligned mark.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)