Agent for self determination - definition (1 Viewer)

orange_blob

Caveman
HSC
ok, an agent for self determination, I'm kinda confused.

My teacher always refers to the characters, for example Lizzy from P&P, as agents for self determination, but that doesn't sound right to me. It sounds like they are real estate agents, or spies or something.

I would have thought that that it would mean something that influences the charater to become self determined. Like a cleaning agent isn't someone who comes into your house and cleans the bath, it's the chemical that helps with the cleaning. But then I can't actually think of anything that has done this in the texts.

Could somebody help clarify this please?

wccchick

HSC
i know how you feel - my teacher does the same! i;m like sure whatever - i think you are on the right track!
what texts are you doing?

HSC
N/A
The word "catalyst" might be slightly more digestible. :) Of course it could be wrong if Lizzy isn't the sister in P&P who runs away presumably to elope, but... let's hope I'm right! :)

Rainelk

HSC
The characters like Lizzie and Darcy etc are the agents through which self-determination occurs. So I suppose we look at self-determination as a concept rather than just something that certain people do.

BronwynKate

HSC
Lydia is actually the catalyst for Darcy, Bingley, Jane and Elizabeth all to unite because they have to help her.

Agent belongs far more in philosophy than it does in literature, I think.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)