Age of consent? (1 Viewer)

Is the age of consent appropriate?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Pretty open-ended topic but what are people's thoughts on the age of consent? Is it too high, too low? Should we be talking about an age at all or would maturity/physiology be a better gauge and if so how would that work? Are there gray areas and if so how should they be dealt with?

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
too low and anything besides a physical (which includes mental maturity) basis would be kinda dumb.

but where that point lies, i don't know.

ay0_x

HSC
I think 16 is okay BUT...

The fact that it's 16, a 16 year old can legally fall pregnant. A 16 year old with a kid, can't sign a lease for an apartment. Can't vote for government. Still receives shit wages. It's confusing as fuck- "You can have a child, but you can't have an apartment!".

So in that instance I'd ask for it to be adjusted, or for the other laws to be adjusted.

In the case of mentally disabled individuals it would have to be looked at objectively, seeing as mentally, they can be much "younger".

will-anal

Banned
HSC
The fact that it's 16, a 16 year old can legally fall pregnant. A 16 year old with a kid, can't sign a lease for an apartment. Can't vote for government. Still receives shit wages. It's confusing as fuck- "You can have a child, but you can't have an apartment!".
I lol'd.

I think 16 is fine. It's an arbitrary number which nobody takes any notice of except for overzealous parents when their pride and joy gets knocked up at 15 by a 17 year old. OMG raep!

Sure there has to be a legally defined age in order to protect the most vulnerable, but it's fairly duh that teenagers mature physiologically and mentally quite individually, and whilst one might be ready to have sex at 14/15, some wait until 17/18.

But re: no age. I really don't think it matters if there is a legal age of consent. It doesn't stop paedophiles. It doesn't stop people under that age from having sex, it doesn't mean that all people should have sex by 16... Scrap the law, and scrap the ridiculous punishments that go along with it, i.e. statutory rape for a 17 year old after he sleeps with his 15 year old girlfriend. Srsly.

The age of consent isn't a barrier to most teenagers, sexual predators or the STD/teen pregnancy rate. Instead we should just better educate young people on the psychological/physical expectations of sex.

Last edited:

will-anal

Banned
HSC
I just saw an error in my post.

Obviously an age of consent allows us to prosecute those who interfere with somebody under that age, and to scrap an age of consent would effectively deem any laws re: sex with a minor useless, unless we can somehow come up with a way to define unlawful sex with a minor... idk

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I just saw an error in my post.

Obviously an age of consent allows us to prosecute those who interfere with somebody under that age, and to scrap an age of consent would effectively deem any laws re: sex with a minor useless, unless we can somehow come up with a way to define unlawful sex with a minor... idk
Pretty big error :p

will-anal

Banned
HSC
Pretty big error :p
wah wah wah if you don't think about it, it makes perfect sense

Like, an age of consent does not stop paedos from having sex with kids, and I was like wow I'm on to a good thing here

And then I was like lol you fucking dick, the whole reason paedos get charged with kiddy rape is because of the age of consent

So in conclusion, lets just keep the age of consent set at 16.

David Spade

Banned
HSC
N/A
my main issue is witht he discrepancies lol between age of consent and when you are considered an adult and shit

absorber

HSC
Probably about right...A lot of people have the maturity at the age of 16, but any lower and I'd be adamant that most people would regret their actions...Of course, by lowering it the scope for child abuse would be dramatically increased

jennyfromdabloc

coked up sociopath
HSC
Abolish the age of consent all together.

Sexual assault cases where the young person has consented but there are questions about their capacity to consent should be tried on a case by case basis.

Would it be more difficult than just having a cut off age? Sure.

But we make these tough case by case decisions all the time when factors like mental handicaps and intoxication are involved.

I would rather invest more time and effort into investigating the circumstances of each case than to potentially send innocent people to prison.

HSC
N/A
I dont think there should be an age.

Once the female has reached puberty she should be able to consent. If thats 11 or 16 or 14. Why should anyone prohibit anyone else from sexual pleasures if their bodies are ready for it?

David Spade

Banned
HSC
N/A
well yeah dom doesnt much worry about consent in my experiences

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
16 is fine but a "within 2 years" rule for young people. E.g. 15 and 17 yr olds couple, sweet as bru, 17-14 nah not cool.

will-anal

Banned
HSC
17-14 isnt really that much of an issue imo tbh

mentally, what is the difference between a 17 year old boy and a 14 year old girl

id argue nothing

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)