After the Bomb - Related texts (1 Viewer)

Fake-Name

HSC
Hey, I saw that there was another thread on this topic, however it seems the thread was wrecked during BOS update.

I'm looking to find some related material for After the Bomb, but I'm unsure what to look for. I'm guessing it's main theme should be Our first text we studied in class was Hiroshima, which has little to do with paranoia. Our second text was Catch-22, it does involve some paranoia and fear, but it's not a central theme of the work.

Is there something i'm missing? We were told the theme of After the Bomb is Paranoia and fear, but neither of the first two texts involve much of each.

NewiJapper

HSC
Have you looked at existentialism? Cold-war anxiety? Espionage? Absurdism?

Fake-Name

HSC
They thanks for the reply.

Our teacher only gave us vague details about what this topic was about.

Is there something on Boardofstudies.org that gives a list of what I should be covering?

I think We were told about cold-war anxiety (paranoia/fear) and Espionage, but the other two are new to me.

Thanks for that.

jet

Banned
HSC
The module isn't just about paranoia. The entire module is meant to cover the influence of the events throughout WWII and the Cold War; how they impacted on the overall psyche of society and ultimately how it is revealed through texts written during the Cold War period.

Sure there's paranoia and fear, however there are other characteristics you should be looking at. Things like existentialism, absurdism (as NewiJapper pointed out) McCarthyism, an overall movement away from religious influence, disregard for authority, an increased focus on the use of medicine and the efficacy of hospitals (think the hospital scenes in Catch 22), the rise of capitalism, developments in technology, obsession with death.

There's a lot of literature out there. Look for texts that support your opinions about the influence of WWII and the Cold War on society during that period.

Fake-Name

HSC
Thanks for the reply!

I've got about 40 pages left of Catch-22, although I wish I knew this before I read it, I've probably missed heaps of allusions and references to 'after the bomb'.

Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)