'after the bomb' elective for ext eng (1 Viewer)

lizajane91

HSC
hey is anyone doing 'after the bomb' for your ext english elective?
what do you guys think about it?:shy:

Mithead

HSC
Yeah, I am. Really loving it at the moment.

What texts are you doing?

We're doing Hiroshima, Catch-22 and The Spy who came in from the cold.

lizajane91

HSC
Hey,
yeah im really enjoying it..bit of a gloomy topic tho lol
I'm doing Hiroshima, Waiting for Godot and the poetry.
:wave: yay have fun!

Last edited:

truestar92

HSC
I dont really like the topic and I think its gloomy
although it is interesting!
We're doing sylvia plath, joseph heller(catch 22)and samuel beckett (waiting for godot)
plaths really depressing (and i think graphic at times) so consider yourself lucky if you dont get to do it!

Zephyrio

HSC
Guys this sounds like a FANTASTIC module! I mean I just had a think about it... it's bound to be wicked fun, looking at the insecurities the world faced after Hiroshima/Nagasaki and how certain composers explore the certain threats of open violence during the Cold War. Joseph Heller should be a fantastic text. And the others to, I'm sure!

morning storm

HSC
im with zephyrio... sounds wicked

heller's text is a great one to read, so consider yourselves lucky you get to study an enjoyable text

truestar92

HSC
lol catch 22 is great
zephyrio it sounds like a wicked topic (and is at times)but its also very depressing!
maybe its the effect of Plath poetry...maybe

jet

Banned
HSC
SYlvia plath is depressing, though I like it anyway. She uses some amazing imagery, especially in 'Morning Song' and 'Words'.

Catch 22 is hilarious. A wonderfully constructed text. I am enjoying this module immensely

britt16

HSC
yeah, its ok
my class is doing Waiting for Godot, Sylvia Plath, and im hoping for Catch 22 but my teacher says she will negotiate with us
Waiting for Godot is a fantastic play but it is difficult when having to study it and how it reflects the society from which it springs.

verdades

HSC
We're doing Sylvia Plath, The Spy Who Came In From the Cold, and Waiting for Godot.

And Sylvia Plath has made it to my list of most disliked people.
My class must be an odd-one-out around here, because we're all regretting our choice of After the Bomb.
We have no Modern History class in my year, though, so it might just be the lack of interest in that area.

duckyness

HSC
"Duck and Cover" is strangely mesmerising, and addictive.
Has anybody else seen it?

Will a newspaper really protect us??

post-it-notes

HSC
duckyness said:

Yes! I watched that
How funny to think that people really took that movie seriously. And to think that's what they were showing little kids, I mean that was scaled down. Imagine what the teenagers and the adults were watching

Mithead

HSC
Just finished studying 'Hiroshima' thankfully. It is so terrible, why we are studying it when the other texts are so fantastic is beyond me. Catch-22 is so hillarious, almost balances out the horror that is 'Hiroshima'

lizajane91

HSC
hey how is everyone going with related texts for this topic, im interested in whether we are allowed to use modern texts that refernce the era or do we just have to use the texts that were from the cold war era??

cjl247

HSC
duckyness said:

Duck and Cover? We watched this 20 minute or so video clip about it. Some advertisement about "how to react in the case of a Japanese atomic bomb"...
Everyone in the class was walking out singing the song haha :spin:

As for me, we're doing Hiroshima, Waiting For Godot and The Spy Who Came in from the Cold... Only haven't read Godot and dreading it after hearing so much negative feedback from the dux of our school... :uhoh:

After the Bomb itself is a pretty interesting topic though.

LekShuu

HSC
We're doing:
Spy Who Came in From the Cold (darn its narrative complexities)
Sylvia Plath (go her!)
Waiting for Godot (haven't taken a look at it yet)

And erm yes. Duck and cover. Revolutionary foolproof safety mechanisms. At least the jingle is catchy.

About half our class does modern history, i think it helps but nothing a bit of reading can't help. I love how the topic is politcally/socially centred, but darn the history lessons.

AussieVesti

Retired Account
HSC
Waiting for Godot
Catch 22
Sylvia Plath
The Spy Who Came In From The Cold

Argh, I have to write a movie transcript for our assessment. God darn work, oh well it must be done. Nonetheless, I still share the same interest in the topic.

Samii64

HSC
We're doing Waiting for Godot, 1984, The Spy Who Came In From The Cold, Hiroshima and 13 Days (but I think that's a related material, can't remember).

Reading into the topic and the context, I'm beginning to have a grasp on the world at that time, but I am having troubles when it comes to analysing the work deeply enough to write a full essay on it.. how is everyone else going? If anyone has some sort of website or notes on Cold War or this module would be extremely helpful and appreciated :)

georgefren

HSC
Godot, the spy who came in from the cold, hiroshima

havent a related text yet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)