After the Bomb- Cold War ways of thinking (1 Viewer)

Catberry

HSC
N/A
I understand that the during the Cold War, there were many power paradigms and senses of powerlessness. It seemed that people were trying to gain an understanding of the world around them and them and that there was a sense of shift from knowing to being.

I only have a basic understanding of these notions but would like to know more.
What were some of the other ways of thinking that were present during the Cold War?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Check out my other posts in after the bomb-it may help to consolidate/clarify your understanding further

-Ok, in after the bomb, whenever you are unsure-refer back to the syllabus-because all the essay and creative questions can only be extrapolated from the syllabus. It is very important you don't refer to the paradigms as power paradigms-, paradigms, like ways of thinking-is categorised into four major categories-philosophical, scientific, religious, economic-and these ways of thinking must form the basis of most of the essays you write for this module

-the sense of powerlessness relates to the all paradigms/ways of thinking in a way, just to give you an example

scientific- so essentially the creation of scientific weaponry like nuclear bomb meant people would perish in seconds, so what was the point of preserving or prolonging one's physical existence when you can be a random statistical casualties of these mass destructive technologies(remember, the Cold War was constructed partially from the arms race which mainly involve the accumulation of nuclear arsenals by the two superpowers)

-economic- basically it also interweaves the political models of capitalism in the West and Communism in the east-communism basically meant that no matter how hard everyone worked, everything goes back to the state-so there was a sense of powerlessness at unable to get what you could call 'equal pay for equal work'-and there was a lot of oppression and persecution of any political dissidents, and for capitalism-businessman exploited the system-at the top of the hierarchy-and so despite a thriving post war economy, there was concern about the neglect of the welfare of the workers as capitalism rewards more profit, less cost, not better welfare, more costs- so again, people in the working class, called the proletariats-particularly in the Soviet Union-felt powerless to change-improve their working condition, in 1980s, Ronald Reagan's policies of economic rationalism as well as wall street mantra 'greed is good' serves to further accentuate this sense of powerlessness

-philosophical-basically existentialism and nihilism becomes very popular philosophies-a sense of helplessness emerged from the devastation of the atomic bomb left many people feeling a sense of disorientation and confusion at a world capable of annihilating itself to the verge of distinction- hence they tried to mediate that sense of helplessness by striving to discover a sense of meaning in their life/existence-but as texts such as waiting for Godot and related texts such as Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse Five tells us-such self-actualisation did little to alleviate personal existential conflicts on a social level

-religious-basically there was a strong secular divide, there was government propaganda aligning communism as 'Godless', and so those who were fervent anti-communist became even devout believers of the church, and other sceptics becomes increasingly detached from the social institution-basically the question was if God exist, why would he have allowed so many people to die randomly and suffer so much?- so any previous simplistic belief in the existence of a benevolent divinity was no longer possible-so again, a sense of hopelessness emerged from the loss of spiritual faith, and by extension, spiritual identities

-Basically, after the bomb-to gain a much better understanding-there is a book called success to after the bomb which helps, but most importantly as if you read my previous posts you will understand that it is preferable if you go to the State library, or access available articles on google scholar or google books to delve deeper into the ways of thinking from the primary sources of articles written at the time and books written about that time-self-studying is always the best way to holistically understand a module as immense as this one it will allow you to see how everything you learnt can be categorised and connected together-my posts are only to get you started-all the best of luck:)

Last edited:

fatassmcfat

HSC
hey I am confused about what after the bomb actually encompasses. So the time period is about 1945-1990 right, but is it only about stuff in relation to the bomb or could it be *irrelevant* things happening within that time period? Like the civil rights movement doesnt bear direct link with the bomb, but it fits in with the time period so could you write about a guy in India who saw it on TV but wasnt affected in the same stereotypical middle-class American way existentialist etc. way? Sorry if that sounds stupid but is there any other kind of topic apart from war and the civil rights movement?

I wish my class chose romanticism :rage:

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
hey I am confused about what after the bomb actually encompasses. So the time period is about 1945-1990 right, but is it only about stuff in relation to the bomb or could it be *irrelevant* things happening within that time period? Like the civil rights movement doesnt bear direct link with the bomb, but it fits in with the time period so could you write about a guy in India who saw it on TV but wasnt affected in the same stereotypical middle-class American way existentialist etc. way? Sorry if that sounds stupid but is there any other kind of topic apart from war and the civil rights movement?

I wish my class chose romanticism :rage:
Have you checked out my 3 threads in the Ways of Thinking forum for English Extension One for After the Bomb?-I think reading through the three threads might possibly help to lessen your confusion, although the civil rights movement did occur during the after the bomb period, but it had no direct correlation with being a repercussion of dropping the atomic bomb. It is best that you focus on significant elements that have influenced your prescribed and related, rather than on minor elements-otherwise you won't able to sustain discussion for an entire essay. The most popular settings for this module for creative is in Japan, America, Russia, England, Vietnam, Korea... India wasn't really affected significantly by the dropping of the atomic bomb. You should really focus on countries where the fear of Communism/Capitalism is very strong-this will help you create a much more effective atmosphere to immerse your readers. It is really hard to show any deep contextual understanding if you set it in India-because the existential movements, the secular divide that occurred after the war, the communist-capitalism split was most evident in America and Russia, and Cold War expressions such as 'Reds under Beds' is not useful for a setting in India at all.

You are really focusing on the feelings of the period, of how the dropping of the atomic bomb had influenced society on many facets-and this has to do with thorough research, for example, there were the Vietnam and Korean War, there was the McCarthy Communist witch hunts, there were bomb shelters being built and propaganda in the West and East such as Bertie the Turtle telling children to 'duck and cover' in case of a nuclear attack, you should highlight how the fear of the bomb dropping has led to less genuine relationship-everyone was fearful of each other and there is a pervasive lack of trust, you should have grasped a lot of these aspects already through reading/viewing your prescribed and related text, focus on how you can reflect the economic/religious/philosophical/scientific paradigms of the era in your creative. Hope this helped:)

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey thanks that helped A LOT :D
Glad that I would be of help-in the future, if you have any questions on ATB, just post a reply to one of my ATB threads, and I will reply it as soon as possible:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)