HSC
Hey guys i seem to be doing real poorly in standard english
what do u fink i should do

get a tutor?

i duno im not good with english i think its a difficult subject

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
yeah standard is pretty hard. i think the average at my skool is like 60% or something.

its really hard for english standard to get a band 6 or 5.

Winston

HSC
i mean sometimes i read the sample essays they dont even make sense and i count how many quotes and techniques they have and they dont have like heaps i seriously dont get english its all screwed

jessika

law chicky
HSC
maybe you should talk to your teacher about it (or maybe their the problem). But I found, that the most help I ever got was by talking to my friends, they could explain it in 'jess language', so I was like cool, I understand all that now. And that was the same for my friends, the ones that were in standard I could help out, because I understood there work, and I could relate it to stuff that they would understand.

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by ToOhEyZ
yeah standard is pretty hard. i think the average at my skool is like 60% or something.

its really hard for english standard to get a band 6 or 5.

hey,
at least it is not as bad in an all-boys college!
(we must have girls on our minds all day, everyday ;))

the average for the *ADVANCED* course was 62% during the preliminary year.

it is pretty hard to get a band 5/6 in adv eng, but it is not impossible :)

*whistles, cough*

anyway winston,
here's what you should try to do,
even if it doesn't make sense.

read a couple of essays,
have your teacher mark them,
see where you've gone wrong,

if that doesn't help, try scaffolding.

introduction,
body,
conclusion

in your body, select a text, develop ideas,
introduce techniques, quote, reiterate these techniques.

just ask yourself,
what are you trying to say,
how will you go about saying it,
when you want to say it,
after you've said it,
tie it all together,
re-state what you've said,
link it back to the introduction,

and the conclusion is self-explanatory;
wrap it up, don't introduce anything new,
sum up your essay/points and that should be it :)

Last edited:

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
I do advanced English but I don't think there is a lot of difference between the difficulty of standard and advance. I think they are both difficult courses its just advanced requires a deeper level of analysis to get a decent mark. Having said that, talk to your teacher, get them to explain your strengths and weakness, and work on them both.

sarah101

am i screwed?

k, we're in what april now, ive done fairly well in all assessments, like averge 90%, but we just had half yearlys and apparantly the average for like ancient and dt was really low, meaning most people failed. ancient was worth 40%, if i failed that, and am only doing 10 units, is there just no hope? idealy id like to get 90, but over 80 and i'll be happy!... my other subjects are art, general maths and advanced english.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
If most people failed that means that the assessment was/should have been reasonably difficult ... which for the HSC won't matter ... as long as you all do reasonably well! Since your marks will be moderated ... and its too early in the ball-game to know what will happen with the rest of your assessments or HSC Exam performance for that matter! :)

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
if most of the ppl failed the exams, it prob means that ur exam to too difficult. dont worry about it now, coz later on your marks for that exam will be scaled according to every other skools

sarah101

oh k sweet, hopefully it will work out okay! got one more question to anyone doing ' the explorers' as one of their texts... i'm just wondering do we need to read the entire book? or are there set stories like with gwen harwood, hows theres set poems? please help.. before i bore myself to death reading the entire thing!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)